• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MetricMechanics "Dog-leg" 5-speed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anybody familiar with this transmission

I just pulled a 5-speed from an '82 e21. The mechanic who is familiar with the car referred to this as a "dog-leg" 5-speed and explained that basically reverse is where 1st usually is and 1st is where 2nd is usually found, thus the 1-2 shift require a dog-leg movement. I think...

Anyway, the trans has a 3 piece case rather than the 2 piece I was expecting on an '82 320is. Is transplanting this unit into my '70 2002 going to be different than with a "regular" e21 5-speed?

And do I need the shift linkage or do I use the 2002 linkage?

Thanks!

Paul in Richmond

Guest Anonymous

a CR five speed there. Highly desired by the racing folks, if it were me, I'd sell it to an enthusiast, put in a 5 speed with an OD 5th gear, and use the extra money to buy trick suspension bits and/or track wheels and sticky tires.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

It's a nice find but it's realy one of the last bits you need to add to a real hi-po set up 304 cam or larger. It has the same 1 to 1 output in high gear as your 4 speed it uses the extra gear to reduce the rpm drop between shifts. You could sell it for pretty good money and get a o/d 5 speed and redo the suspention or what have you.

Guest Anonymous

and I'll be following John's advice to sell it and get an Over-drive 5-speed instead. Also think I have the diff from an e21 323!

Paul in Richmond