• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is best way to tow a 2002? Need advice on auxiliary br

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Remove the driveshaft.

Make sure the 2002 is registered. (Since 2 of its wheels are on the ground)

The U-haul dollies have the running, stop and turn signals on their fenders. You should be legal without any additional lights, but you might think about turning on the running lights on the 2002 if you are going to tow it at night.

DO NOT back up with a car on the dolly, it will just bind and make horrible noises.

Guest Anonymous

off the road. Otherwise if you use dolly, you need to disconnect the driveline from the differential. The tranny relies on the input shaft turning to keep the final drive bearing lubricated.

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

Not sure what the tow capacity of the X5 is, but they wouldn't rent me one with my pickup, because it didn't weigh enough.

Guest Anonymous

at least my owners manual for my 74 lists no restrictions for 4 speed towing. You can tow a automatic for up to 31 miles with out starting it up and running it through the gears. I have towed my 02 behind my motorhome for thousands of miles with out a trany problem, well the first one lost a bearing at 390k miles. That being said if I was going to tow across country with out using the car I would pull the half shafts then you only have to worry about the rear wheel bearings.

Guest Anonymous

1. Remove the halfshafts so the only thing that's turning is the stub-axles. Remember that with the car's front wheels up on the dolly, all the lubricant is going to drain to the rear of the diff, and the front pinon bearing could run dry.

2. Make sure the rear brakes are not dragging at all -you don't need one hub to run hot someplace in the middle of nowhere

3. Hook into the car's running and brake light circuits at the fuse box so you can power up the front parking lights, tail lights and turn signals from the trailer light hook-up on the tow car. Remember that the tow dolly's lights are all at the dolly's fenders (in line with the cars front wheels) - you want to give cars around you in traffic all possible warning of what you're doing, especially at night.

4. Rent a set of tow lights with the dolly and put them high up on the car (I put 'em on the rear package shelf) so you'll also have bright brake lights and turn signals at other driver's eye level.

As mentioned in a couple of other posts, you probably won't find a national rental company (i.e. U-haul, etc) that will rent to you unless you show up with a 3/4 ton pick up or SUV - the insurance companies that equipment rental organizations get their coverage from have gotten EXTREMELY tight about this recently (When I picked up my rolling shell a couple of years ago, I couldn't rent a dolly anywhere with either my 65 El Camino or my in-law's Ford F150. I got lucky and was able to borrow a dolly from a helpful neighbor, otherwise I would have had to have rented both a truck AND dolly).