• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any reason not to use this Fram Oil Filter?

jrhone

I was getting some oil filters and the local BMW parts store only had 1 Mahle and so they gave me  this Fram as well.  I put the Mahle in but on the next full oil change any reason not to use this Fram?

49828607-37D4-4977-8914-8EF519F7A751.thumb.jpeg.e6fbf5d1f61e1aa6880b4acea471517b.jpeg897C87FD-BE0E-4F31-8E26-CB1BE0D3C614.thumb.jpeg.236ef8e614e710e6cfcf1a42bf80f50a.jpeg

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have zero technical knowledge of oil filters-have read a few threads on FRAM filters and it always seems to be bad news.  I have to say I find it interesting that they are commonly used on Ferrari's (esp 365 GTB/4 Daytona's which has to be a motor worth I don't know how much - but ALOT).  I wouldn't think you would put a POS oil filter on an engine like that.....

dd04.jpg

My suggestion is to compare the two filters by holding them in your hands. My guess is the Mahle will feel much more substantial than the Fram. That’s because the Mahle is much more robust.

I broke in my motor with an STP filter, but then it only had to last 15 minutes. [emoji23]

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Thanks guys.  Fram used to be used on everything in the past.  Was it ever any good?!?   Like the Ferrari engine there. Orange oil filters on vintage cars was the norm.  That’s why I thought the guy gave it to me, it’s a very reputable shop in the area that pretty much only deals with vintage BMWs. I thought maybe he had an old stash of Vintage Frams or something.  It’s worth the few bucks I paid for it as garage art lol.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1 hour ago, jrhone said:

Thanks guys.  Fram used to be used on everything in the past.  Was it ever any good?!?   Like the Ferrari engine there. Orange oil filters on vintage cars was the norm.  That’s why I thought the guy gave it to me, it’s a very reputable shop in the area that pretty much only deals with vintage BMWs. I thought maybe he had an old stash of Vintage Frams or something.  It’s worth the few bucks I paid for it as garage art lol.  

I ran a huge FRAM HP1 oil filter in the VW. It was heavy and highly recommended by some long time VW folks (like Gene Berg).  Like most everything nowadays, companies have to compete so cost cutting and paying for advertising is the norm.

Lots of imitation filters out there. The legitimate manufacturers confiscate many knock off filters that are sold all over the world.  This from a story by Mann-Hummel. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Hate to be a contrarian, but the truth of the matter is that I've used Fram 3816 filters for 30-40 years and have yet to have one do bad things (like burst in cold weather or cause engine failure.) 

I do change my dino oil every 4k miles and synthetic at 8k, along with the filter, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, and it's entirely possible that the Fram filter of 30 years ago isn't the same as today's, but they've served me well.  

However, having won so many Mann and Mahle filters at Mid America, I have long-term supply of them, so haven't bought any Frams for a couple of years.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have cut open quite a few filters.

You never would use a cutoff wheel to do so...

While the Germans ARE better, 10 years ago

Wix (Bosch) was still pretty good, and Fram was ok, too.

Nothing about either of them would harm any casually maintained

engine...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, Doug Riparetti said:

I'm using K&N oil filters, part number is "HP 1002" for my S14. You can put a 1" wrench on the end of it to back it off. Y'all will never have to use an oil filter spanner wrench to remove your filter. 

Will that fit in a 2002?  I am looking for a washable oil filter. 

.... Just cross-referenced and no. 

Edited by Dudeland
answered my own question

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002