• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A weird blinker question....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What would the general guess be if the following happens: For several years my blinkers worked fine. Yes the green indicator would flash once but I couldnt care less about that. Now the blinkers come on and stay on,holding solid light, blinking at a normal rate but the blink is the absence of light for a quick moment, instead of dark then a flash of light, then dark etc. So now so the cops dont get me I simply flick the switch on off on off on off, but, when shifting and looking for traffic this gets to be a big distraction. Any help for this weird twist of flasher problems? Thanks very much in advance :)

Nathan, Duluth, MN

1972 Euro 2002

Guest Anonymous

The blink once on the dash is usually the flasher relay. I would guess that the other problems are due to its continued progress complete failure. It's a cheap part available at all the usual '02 sources.

Guest Anonymous

You *should* care about the behavior of the dash indicator, because it was telling you that your signals were not working correctly. Before you had one problem, and now you have two. It's possible that it's merely a bad flasher in your case, but in general (ALL modern cars) the single blink or fast blink of the indicator means one or more of the exterior bulbs is either not working or the wrong brightness.

1. Replace your flasher with a new one. That should fix the duty cycle problem and possibly the indicator problem. Costs about $15 from one of the 2002 parts places. That seems expensive, but there is no cheaper part that works correctly. Be sure the flasher is mounted with the terminals down, so that the case doesn't collect rain that leaks past the windshield seal.

2. Check the four turn signal lamps: Turn on the parking lights. Verify that the front lamps are dimly lit. Turn on the hazard flasher. Observe each lamp. Each rear one should blink bright/dark. Each front one should blink bright/dim. If any is always dark, replace the bulb or check the wiring. If any is dim when it should be bright or dark, check the ground connection for that socket. The front sockets get their ground through the mounting screws. If a front lamp is always bright, the two wires to that socket are swapped.

Guest Anonymous

I do remember a few years ago when I was about 20 I was leaning into the engine bay trying to explain something about the car to a really cute gal walking by when I broke off a round piece (in a hilarious bout of embarassment) I was leaning my hand on that had wires coming out of it. It was just held onto the drivers side of the engine by a little piece of metal mount, sort of next to the battery. It had several wires and so it stayed in place, dangling there. Everything still worked so I just left it hanging around in the engine bay. When I started caring about the car again many years later I figured this may be the blinker relay that has most likely been exposed to as much weather as Minnesota can put out. The car now lives in a nice heated garage at least so now I have some facilities and money to poke around with it. Does that sound like the relay location? Thank you for the post. Yes today I learned that is why it doesnt blink and about all of the other crazy blinker problems about. And no, I didnt get a date with the cute gal who was interested in the car. Hmpf

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure about roundies) that Curt refers to. They're right above the battery. Swap one and see if it cures your problem.

Guest Anonymous

rayM2.JPG

lever inside the car. You broke off the headlight relay ;-) Actually u probably just pulled it past the mounting rivets, with the bracket remaining on the inner fender. Mine is JB welded in place!

Cheers,

Ray