• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people say these BMW rims do not fit 02s

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am not sure of their offset though, but I do know that they fit. InstructorBill has them on his M20 02.

-Justin

2002sig.gif

Guest Anonymous

Post%20suspension.JPG

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

They are 14x6.5, with an offset of ET30. Some guys use a slim spacer in the front, but I don't. I have some very light polish marks on the inside tire from the tie rod, and I get light fender rub on hard corners. I'm using very square Yokohama A520's in 195/60/14, and have a 3/4" drop with ST springs.

Al

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Al I was just confused why people swap other E30 rims on and swore they worked, and these with the same E30 backspacing are supposed to have issues. I suppose with a more dramatic drop id need to roll the inner fenders, or is the rubbing coming from them being too close on the inside?

Guest Anonymous

Post suspension.JPG

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

That is the problem. Mine rub on the inside, AND the outside. The inner rub is nothing to worry me, but the outer has actually chunked my tires since lowering the car. I will be clearancing in the not too distant future.

Al

Guest Anonymous

much they'll rub with 205/60hr14 tires on them. The inner lip of the front fenders is just too close to the tire when near full steering lock, and it could catch and chunk the tire (or bend the fender?). This isn't a big deal... just stretch the front fenders out a bit.

If you get these I'd recommend running 195 wide tires max... The only reason I have 205's on is because that's what they came with.... and the tires where near new.

WH

Guest Anonymous

... The clearance is slightly different on a tii, and either the tire sidewall or the wheel lip (can't remember which) is too close to the tie rod end.

E30 wheels are not all the same size. These are 6.5x14 with offset 30 mm. E30 bottlecap wheels are 6x14 with offset 35 mm. Optional 15-inch E30 wheels are 7x15 with offset 25 mm.

As for tire width, 195 mm fit OK on most 2002. 205 mm fit on some, rub on others. The wider the tire, the more important to have the correct offset.

Guest Anonymous

The tii hubs have a larger grease cap that interferes. The fix involves "smashing" the cap slightly, as much as the castle nut & cotter pin beneath ir will allow (be careful).

The other issue is the wheel studs need to be a little longer as the wheel's mounting flange is thicker.

Never had these myself, so this is just memories of what friends of mine did to fit them.