PDWebb

What did you do to your NK this week?

98 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 10/2/2018 at 12:05 PM, MOJOJOY said:

@NickVyse this is my 2nd 5 speed swap in an NK. So far no issues! 

Need new motor mounts as passenger one is gone! 

Platform is centered to where it should be length wise. Need to re-align side to side once I swap in the new motor mounts. No tunnel banging required so far! 

4178E40B-EB7C-4B98-9B2C-C4292A6B0B01.jpeg

3B53F9E9-6F8C-45F6-91D8-AB96EA70CFBC.jpeg

Since this post is from October, I'm sure you have figured out that the nylon bushing in the platform needs to be installed on the shifter first then the two pieces pushed into the platform.  I did this recently and was reminded by Steve (the instructions note this as well). My picture shows my incorrect assembly attempt.

Jim

IMG_1166.JPG

• Like 1

Yes! There is tabs in the nylon piece that allows you to pull it out and reinstal! 

I’m still waiting for the driveshaft to be finished so I can assemble and drive! 

1E4C590A-77CA-455B-9844-6E0C5C1DFDFA.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jgerock said:

Nice collection Brian!  I spy a 60's Corvette as well.

Thanks, Jim, but I can't claim the M3s or the Corvette - good eyes, by the way. 

your brand new 50 year old BMW is close to rolling off the production line, how cool is that?

• Like 1

This has been over the course of several weeks! Goal this year is the metal work on the NK and I discovered as I was removing the interior to tackle the one spot in the floor, the driver seat mounts were cracked. Plan was to straighten everything out, weld up the cracks, and then a reinforcement plate on each side. Not pretty, but it'll hopefully be nice and strong.

First pair of pictures show the cracks after a little initial straightening.

Second pair the cracks welded.

Third pair the reinforcement plates welded on.

Next, that spot in the floor.

Patrick

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

• Like 1

I had Carl Nelson install a new carb and he tightened up the shift linkage.  I also fixed a couple of small wiring issues and installed a USB charger in the glove box.  It’s been raining a bit too much to get it out for a nice drive.

• Like 1

I had the original single barrel Solex and Carl believes they run lean at highway speeds and can burn the valves.  It was having trouble with cold starts so Carl put in a new 2 barrel Weber.  Since I’m am originality nut I told him yes in Dec so I couldn’t change my mind.  He had to use a two barrel manifold but modified the underside of the air cleaner to fit nice and low and look stock.  My NK was originally an automatic so linkage had to get tweaked just a bit.  So far so good.

• Like 1

Enjoy Chris, and thanks for sharing the note on the original single solex!

Brian, thanks for the encouragement!

Happy to share a bit more progress. Patched the rear passenger floor. Funny this is the single spot of the whole underside of the car. I believe because of a bad window seal and water channeled there. Not pretty, but not bad for hand forming.

First picture shows the area after teasing out the weakened metal.

Second the cuts and third the final product.

Patrick

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

• Like 4

5 speed Tranny had to come out again After installing it. We had no reverse. Problem fixed and now it goes back in again!! Ugh! 

C218BD85-7733-417A-BBE4-54425165C2A5.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOJOJOY said:

5 speed Tranny had to come out again After installing it. We had no reverse. Problem fixed and now it goes back in again!! Ugh! 

C218BD85-7733-417A-BBE4-54425165C2A5.jpeg

I'm interested in your swap now that I just completed mine. I had to narrow the tranny mount to fit my 69 2002 tunnel.

this will fit, i have one in my 63, ITs a close call, but it will do. What mount do you use? I have drawing here on the forum that i had cut out. Perfect fit !