PDWebb

What did you do to your NK this week?

123 posts / 9123 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

After following the very popular "What did you do to your 2002 today?" thread over the last year. I'd love to see this for the NKs, albeit at maybe a slower rate.

This week our NK said goodbye to its garage-mate, we sold our other project car. Now we'll be focusing back on the NK and I'll be happy to share updates.

Patrick

Edited by PDWebb
  • Like 1

Great idea for a thread.

Painted the engine, brushed and treated the aluminum bits.

6EA4FD69-A137-43CE-8455-3BBD823ACD05.thumb.jpeg.004519aae70f725c49f240dbfd7f2fa0.jpeg

The POs must have never run the car very hard, or with too much choke. The top of the intake valves were crusty with carbon build up. I soaked them in carb cleaner and scraped the carbon off with dental tools. Much better now. 

166E5548-A032-4FE9-9866-5EE431D79D87.thumb.jpeg.b3c187e830c3a56bb34f6373e0eebeaa.jpeg

CD476543-C052-453A-9CBA-28F44B0192D7.thumb.jpeg.b79f8932f1277994b1781611f4a57721.jpeg

Yes...ports are enlarged and polished. Same for the exhaust side. 😎

Ed

• Like 4

Thanks for starting this Patrick. I'm looking forward to hearing what people are up to. 

As for me, I rounded up the carb setup that I have been longing for. They are freshly rebuilt. The airbox needs a little love but that's part of the fun. 

IMG_8239.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brbrian73 said:

I rounded up the carb setup that I have been longing for.

Solex DDHs.... awesome carbs.  I've run those on my '02 for almost 5 years with no complaints.  Let me know if you have any questions about set up. Have you found the proper velocity stacks to go with them?  ...those can be tricky to locate.

1519960200_Solex40DDHT.thumb.jpg.220662f44f6b94b3d2d93c27e2b2affd.jpg

Airbox looks good.  The rubber boots are still available.

Ed

Thanks Ed! Fortunately, I do have the velocity stacks. And yeah, I did find the boots online without too much trouble. I will definitely ask if I have issues when I get these on the car. It's actually going to be a little while because the family and I are heading out of the country for a year and I plan to get right to this immediately upon our return. Something to look forward to. 

Your engine is looking good. Those valves certainly benefited from your cleaning! 

• Thanks 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, brbrian73 said:

Something to look forward to.

I'm just glad to see you are taking care of my future car... :)

Also glad to see you put some proper wheels on it.

Ed

Edited by zinz

Great seeing this thread off to a start, thanks for sharing! Nothing fancy here, to push the project forward I pulled everything off the rear. I have a replacement pair of lights to install. Funny how many holes they have drilled into the rear panel.

Also finally added the 69 Chamonix NK to the registry.

Patrick

IMG_0611.jpg

On 5/24/2018 at 1:36 PM, brbrian73 said:

Thanks for starting this Patrick. I'm looking forward to hearing what people are up to. 

As for me, I rounded up the carb setup that I have been longing for. They are freshly rebuilt. The airbox needs a little love but that's part of the fun. 

IMG_8239.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

Will be watching your progress on this car. My next one may be a NK.

• Like 1

Installed one of @bluebmw shift knobs! In the new to me 1800!

Also does anybody have the little bit of chrome trim missing on the radio delete panel? 90938F6B-33E3-4DCE-8DC4-B6503580B5B8.thumb.jpeg.ce3433d9deacf8ccd7a2a1503ef09977.jpeg

F6E071A2-8F0F-4591-96E6-B4221D93C391.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MOJOJOY said:

Also does anybody have the little bit of chrome trim missing on the radio delete panel? 

I bet you could substitute some stick-on trim like what some folks use for 2002 belt line trim. They come in all sizes and profiles. I bet you could find a close match. 

Ed

After sitting in the engine bay all winter, I pulled the engine block out after confirming the mounts were the correct ones and that the 5 speed has enough room.  Gave the (cracked) block away to someone who intends to re-purpose it as furniture somehow.

(edited)

This week pulled the front bumper off. Also installed a new starter, so it was time for a little drive. You'll see the starter isn't a rebuild of the Bosch original, based on some recommended options from the 02 crew I went with an aftermarket new starter, aftermarket of the Bosch SR441X. As recommended, it is smaller, lighter, rolls the engine over quicker and quieter. Don't mind the old wiring :)

Patrick

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Edited by PDWebb

Hi Patrick,

what model / year do ya have there?

where do ya live?

good luck with the resurrection.

jh

CC337341-B001-4BF7-8C20-5A80690C01F0.jpeg

6CB1EA16-6703-4385-AEC8-1C80A9C87B65.jpeg

• Like 1