• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your NK this week?

• Alpina
32 minutes ago, turbobrook@aol.com said:

Hey Brian, 

Your car looks great. I did some exploratory surgery on the ‘67 and unlike the e12 that has a wiring loom for both a clock and a tach, it looks like the old Neue Klasse had only the clock in Spartan tradition. Did you run the wires for your dash tach? What wires does it need? 

I had to run a wire on mine as it wasn’t present! 

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

14 hours ago, turbobrook@aol.com said:

Hey Brian, 

Your car looks great. I did some exploratory surgery on the ‘67 and unlike the e12 that has a wiring loom for both a clock and a tach, it looks like the old Neue Klasse had only the clock in Spartan tradition. Did you run the wires for your dash tach? What wires does it need? 

Alas, that picture was not of my car. It was just intended to show the tach that I'm after. I do have a tach in place now - an aftermarket VDO, but I didn't install it and unfortunately can't say what wiring was necessary. It lights up with the dash lights and functions properly but I'd really like a factory looking tach. 

1 minute ago, brbrian73 said:

Alas, that picture was not of my car. It was just intended to show the tach that I'm after. I do have a tach in place now - an aftermarket VDO, but I didn't install it and unfortunately can't say what wiring was necessary. It lights up with the dash lights and functions properly but I'd really like a factory looking tach. 

This is what I'm working with at the moment. 

IMG_5944.png

The tach needs the black signal wire from the dizzy (or directly from negative terminal on coil), a switched power wire and a ground wire, that’s all.

Edited by HBChris

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

• 4 months later...

Seems no one has posted on here for a while.  I'm fairly new here but have interacted with some of you via Facebook, Instagram or text. Since I did buy my NK from this topic's creator, I figured I would honor @PDWebbby posting here continuation of his project.  I bought his NK through BaT back in October, picked it up in November along with a spare 4-SPD tranny and some parts needed for the swap and that were being stored by @MOJOJOY. I picked up the parts from MOJOJOY through another friend in San Jose back in February and thanks to the recent Pandemic I have been spending my weekends since the beginning of April doing the manual swap.

It has been quite an adventure and older posts in this forum have been very helpful as well as Some of you via the Facebook NK group.  I am down to the wire and finally have the 4-SPD installed and now just waiting for driveshaft and brake booster back from refurbishment! If those get delivered this week, then I should be getting finished this weekend!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Installed the black plastic window crank inserts made for me by one of the generous FAQ members, Tsingtao_1903. He 3D printed them off one of my old original pieces that kept falling off. They look good. 

Also replaced the chrome plastic window switch surround in the center console with a better I got from Harry Malkasian. 

Then drove it. 

C9EE75F2-64D4-4B45-B7A4-022B202D9A9E.jpeg
Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 4 months later...

My Weber DCOE 45s finally went in this week. Several issues arose in the process and most of them were related to clearance. The booster was on my radar from the outset, obviously, but the fit was even tighter than I imagined. There wasn't even room for the angled UNI filters I had in mind. An Ireland Engineering manifold would have made life a little easier because they aren't as deep as the three other types I tried, but those are out of stock. The solution was to swap out the original booster in favor of one from a 2002tii. A lot of 02 guys do this and it was definitely called for in my case. Even with that, it is a really tight fit in the NK. There is just enough room to connect 45 degree air filter elbows from Kooglewerks. Fortunately they are local and I ran across town to pick up a freshly machined set from Forrest himself. 

After some tuning early next week, I should be back on the road.

I hope everyone had an enjoyable, albeit different, Thanksgiving!

Brian

4FCB28D7-D843-4936-8538-0C5D8B757975.jpeg

Nice job Brian - I did away with my servo altogether, it's how my 1600 left the factory anyway and after a few miles I prefer the feel for my sporty car. If it was a cruiser then I might have loked for another solution.

Have you got them dialed in yet? Why 45s and not 40s? They look great and they'll sound even better.

5 hours ago, NickVyse said:

Nice job Brian - I did away with my servo altogether, it's how my 1600 left the factory anyway and after a few miles I prefer the feel for my sporty car. If it was a cruiser then I might have loked for another solution.

Have you got them dialed in yet? Why 45s and not 40s? They look great and they'll sound even better.

Thanks, Nick. I'm glad you like the non-servo feel. I was close to going that direction but my mechanic had a spare tii booster so we gave it a shot. And it worked, but just. 

I know that 40s are they way that most people go with a mostly stock engine but my mechanic, who is also a good friend, has been doing this for 40+ years and says the 45s will give us more flexibility. Initially, he will essentially detune them and then we can open them up if I add a hotter cam. The fine tuning happens next week so I'll get to experience it for myself soon. 

I'm almost as excited about adding Pertronix, which went in at the same time, because the points kept closing and I was suffering hesitation issues as a result. We're also going to try some headers as early as next week. I know that most 2002 headers don't fit NK cars but I have access to a Supersprint set which I think can be made to work. My center resonator is leaking so we're going to try going from the headers straight back to my newish OEM rear muffler. 

More updates soon!

40 minutes ago, brbrian73 said:

Thanks, Nick. I'm glad you like the non-servo feel. I was close to going that direction but my mechanic had a spare tii booster so we gave it a shot. And it worked, but just. 

I know that 40s are they way that most people go with a mostly stock engine but my mechanic, who is also a good friend, has been doing this for 40+ years and says the 45s will give us more flexibility. Initially, he will essentially detune them and then we can open them up if I add a hotter cam. The fine tuning happens next week so I'll get to experience it for myself soon. 

I'm almost as excited about adding Pertronix, which went in at the same time, because the points kept closing and I was suffering hesitation issues as a result. We're also going to try some headers as early as next week. I know that most 2002 headers don't fit NK cars but I have access to a Supersprint set which I think can be made to work. My center resonator is leaking so we're going to try going from the headers straight back to my newish OEM rear muffler. 

More updates soon!

funny you should say that - I have a supersprint that i've been messing about with to fit my new stroker engine going in the NK. It won't fit without messing about quite a bit, and if you have the earlier NK specific subframe with the bolt on idle arm it really won't fit. I changed to the later style subframe because I kept breaking the drivers side motor mount and I've actually cut down the idle arm a few mm to clear the header. Sounds a bit extreme, but I don't believe there's any issue in doing this. Then by sliding the 2 parts of the header apart to make it longer it should work. But I'm having to chop up the end anyway to fit a larger diameter exhaust. It's doable, but requires a lot of messing about. There are off the shelf options in Germany, but $$$ and I'm on a covid induced budget.

1 hour ago, NickVyse said:

funny you should say that - I have a supersprint that i've been messing about with to fit my new stroker engine going in the NK. It won't fit without messing about quite a bit, and if you have the earlier NK specific subframe with the bolt on idle arm it really won't fit. I changed to the later style subframe because I kept breaking the drivers side motor mount and I've actually cut down the idle arm a few mm to clear the header. Sounds a bit extreme, but I don't believe there's any issue in doing this. Then by sliding the 2 parts of the header apart to make it longer it should work. But I'm having to chop up the end anyway to fit a larger diameter exhaust. It's doable, but requires a lot of messing about. There are off the shelf options in Germany, but $$$ and I'm on a covid induced budget.

Wow, it's so helpful to hear that you are attempting the same thing with Supersprint. I have the later subframe so your experience with the idle arm is great to know before starting. I will definitely post an update here after moving forward. 

Thanks again.

Brian