Sign in to follow this  
73tiiDavidPA

Best Place For Your tii to Breakdown ?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well, the obvious answer is in Helmut's and Gunther's secret tii workshop / lair hidden in the Bavarian mountains.  Other than that, The Vintage event is your next best choice.  

To The Vintage and back 2018, a tale of The Red Car.

(apologies in advance for technical inaccuracies - I'm not a most knowledgeable / competent tii owner)   

So, I left for The Vintage sort of in a flurry because I wanted to stop by The Icon exhibit at the BMW Foundation on the way up.  Yes, I did replace my wiper blades before leaving, only to have the passenger side disconnect from the metal arm and fly off about two miles from my home in a driving rainstorm.  I should have figured from that, that this would not be a totally smooth trip.  Wiper blade replaced, I moved on.    

I had tanked up with gas (we luckily have a 100% real gas station around the block) before heading out.  I was mildly curious early on, as I saw my gas gauge continuously descend on the highway.  The car was also running rough, stumbling when trying to maintain a constant speed, but smoother under acceleration.  It did seem to calm down a bit at highway speeds, around 75-80 mph.  No smell of gas, no black smoke, no leaking trail of fuel on the highway behind me - at least that I could see.  Watching the gas gauge plummet though, I pulled off to see if I was leaking.  Nope.  The Kuglefischer was dry, no leaks at the hoses.  I had replaced the o-ring for the return fuel line the other week, and I was worried that had begun to leak.  I Stuck my head under the rear best I could on the off ramp pull off area and didn't see anything leaking from the rear pump.  Puzzled, I pushed on.  The first hard evidence and dread feeling was the first gas stop.  99.8 miles on the odometer, 10 gallons of gas.  Less then 10 mpg.  I had noticed that my calculated mileage from my fill up when I left was quite low, only 14 mpg.  Being down to 10 mpg, I was hoping things weren't going south.  

I made it to The Icon exhibit around 3:00 pm (great exhibit, attend if you can), and bumped into Mike Self, Mike Pugh, and another gentleman (I can't remember his name).  We caught up a bit, and I explained my issue.  One idea was the cold start injector was leaking.  Various potential kluges were discussed to defeat it.  Rob Siegel had just finished signing books (the rock star he is) and agreed to take a peak.  Tools were pulled out of trunks, cloths were changed, and I pulled the tii around to a shady spot under a tree (yes, actual shade tree mechanics).  Rob pulled the air can boot and I ran the car, and the cold start injector was not leaking.  Further inspection though showed the warm up regulator open in the full enrichment mode, and the lever that comes down to the verboten screw about an inch away from    it.   Some  leverage was administered to see if we could loosen / work the piston of the warm up regulator free, but no such luck.  The next step was to loosen the nut and "hat" nut on the warm up regulator piston, but Rob suggested and I heartily agreed that this best be dealt with at The Vintage hotel parking lot, where there was more people, more tools, and no time pressure.  For at this point we were basically the only ones left in the parking lot, and I'm pretty sure Rob still had his second rock star book signing of the day to attend to (read humor, not a dig). 

IMG_4981.thumb.JPG.1ee2361bf31f45d2622eb887828aebd3.JPG     

Onto The Vintage hotel, where the excitement begins.  I had to fill up again on the way, 10.4 mpg.  Park, register, circle hotel lot once and take some photos.  Then up with the hood.  With the help of... I wish I remembered his name - Sahara Alpina tii from Indiana, we got the nut and hat of the warm up regulator loosened and backed off so the lever came down to near the Verboten screw, instead of an inch away.  Andrew J. from Atlanta area helped and we poured over the tii injection manual he had on his phone as a .pdf file.  I of course left mine in my garage, but I did have my full set up tii adjustment tools, go figure.  Rob S. then appeared like the Jedi tii guy he is and suggested that I just take the nut and hat off entirely and let the lever rest on the verboten screw, which should defeat the warm up regulator.  

With huge black approaching storm clouds, and me having a reservation at a hotel ten miles away, I pulled the nut and hat so I could make it to my hotel and have dinner.  Oh no.  The car would not continue to run once I got it all buttoned back up (dip stick back in, return fuel line reattached).  It would start, then die, or stumble and die.  Shit.  I quickly pulled everything back out, got the nut and hat back on, and buttoned it back up.  Huge lightening was in the very near horizon.  The car ran, but like crap.  I had to keep the revs around 4,000 or 5,000 just to keep it from stalling.  The parking gods were with me though, and I snagged a spot under the small overhang in front of the hotel doors and lobby.  Then the rains came down like sheets.

Hood up, tools out again.  Grice from VA (?) appears to lend his tii brain.  We checked (well actually Grice checked, I cleaned) the totally blackened plugs, just to confirm the overly rich running.  Other unknown, tii gurus appear.  So... the cars runs like crap, won't idle, searches up and down in the revs, and has a massive vacuum leak from somewhere.  The vacuum leak is now a central focus because the car has no hope in running smooth with such a whoosh of air.  The old hose as a stethoscope was suggested and I do have a three foot section of rear fuel line.  Mike Self appears.  

IMG_5042.thumb.JPG.f1702e1b954fe0a8a651fec4e9e40a86.JPG      

I think we should now call him Dr. Grice

IMG_5044.thumb.JPG.286e816c4d0459d5b4f27a2381fb5b1b.JPG

Someone else appears with a can of something (brake cleaner I think).  It's sprayed here, there, here again.  The vacuum leak is elusive.  Rob S. appears.  Various hoses are pulled, fingers covering openings.  Nothing.  Then someone tells Chris I., Stone Racing, that there's a tii in distress outside.  So at this point there is well over a century of tii expertise around the car.  Chris takes a peak, and pronounces the vacuum leak is coming from the warm up regulator.  Now I don't know a lot (really anything other then theory) about how the magical warm up regulator works, but learn that there is an air hose at the bottom, and with the regulator set the way it is and/or broken, the vacuum leak is coming from the regulator itself.  Solution in theory is to pull the hose and plug it.    

With Chris's help the warm up regulator air hose is disconnected.  The car is turned over and runs much, much smoother.  It idles, and doesn't hunt the revs.  Chris however does announce that I can't drive around the whole weekend with his thumb stuck in the warm up regulator's air hose.  Now the search for a plug (it was thought of the next day that the hotel bar would have had corks). Rummaging through my tool bags and break down box.  Sharpie, too thin, highlighter, too thick.  Plastic is also mentioned as not probably ideal for sitting in a hot engine bay long term.  Finally we find that the thick end of a 3/8 short racket extension  fits nicely.  With the hose clamp at the end and a zip tie attaching it to the heater hose near the fire wall, the vacuum leak is slayed.  A bit of tuning after buttoning the car back together, and I'm saved.  It's midnight by now, and I can't tell you how happy and pleased I am at The Vintage community for coming together to save me.  

Off to the hotel, gently, the car runs great.  Starting the car in the morning was a bit challenging, but expected.  Once the engine is warm it idles.  The drive to The Vintage... well honestly the car has not run that well in awhile.  Smooth, no surging / flooding / searching the revs.  The event was great, many concerned people came over to check on the car or get filled into the chapters they missed.  My apologies if I've missed mentioning everyone who helped, I didn't know or catch or remember everyone's names.  While I'm not excited about my warm up regulator giving up the ghost, I'm very, very pleased that it occurred when it did.  Once again, Thanks!

Above the horizontal wire, left of the plenum, right of the black fuel return line - the warm up regulator hat with no nut

IMG_5229.thumb.JPG.a03ccd4a43c55c1d0617283811925c14.JPG   

Just above the spring, near the hose clamp, the verboten screw / lever position

IMG_5230.thumb.JPG.5bebbc4c368ae5d987b8f75370629aae.JPG

Hard to see, the 3/8 racket extension plugging the warm up regulator line and zip tied to the heater hose

IMG_5231.thumb.JPG.2c45d9d154602020dcc435515bdafad5.JPG

Safely in the garage back home, along with the Polaris '74tii (will be for sale late summer - need to get the carpet in and address other issues)

IMG_5232.thumb.JPG.dd0d469254ba0c9465f6e6730b18e4b1.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Great story, glad everything got sorted out! I am the guy with sahara Tii (its a vintage TN license plate, they have a cool rule down here where you can run a plate that fits the year of vehicle manufacture). Sorry I had to run off so early, we had to go meet up with family that was arriving. Did you track fuel mileage on the way back? I am curious to see how much better it got!!

Wow what a story.  I saw a piece of this drama on the Vintage page of Facebook.  Your car looks so much like mine I joked that I was going out to check the garage to make sure my car was still there!

You super lucked out!  

Scott

12 minutes ago, RobC said:

Did you track fuel mileage on the way back?

< Rob, sorry I forgot your name.. and well, screwed up on which state you came from too.  I now remember >  

Yes, I just filled it up this evening.  The last tank, highway miles only really, was 23.4 mpg.  

That's great, glad to hear it's way better. Hope to see you at OFest!!

“Tii whisperers”.  Don’t leave home without them... 😉

Another great example of heroes within the ‘02 community producing a happy ending!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

sorry I missed this drama, great story with a happy ending