MitchaPaLoOza88

Wire Loom/Heat Shield Tabs in the Engine Bay. Suggestions, Advice Needed

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi guys,

Getting around to restoring the engine bay of my 1600. I was wondering what most of you prefer for handling the rusty wire loom metal bendy tab things.

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. Remove them, make new ones and re-attach. Or buy them them if available?

2. Remove them, replace the heat shield ones. And buy more modern routing clips like these https://www.eastwood.com/wire-loom-routing-clip-assortment-54pcs.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG2w18KpasxLBU1pw3E9dT5mxz3Iaq9YmSN41A6ZUPXsc3hf3f7REUQaAozqEALw_wcB

3. Spend too much time trying to restore them and replace the bad ones

They are kinda a pain in the ass cause they are gonna make sanding a pain and like to remove my knuckle skin. What have you guys done?

57b3ecbfa3ea35e50d17461f6f9cbd5c.jpg

I think you'll find that the tabs are rusted so thin and their flexibility is next to nil so that restoration is not an option.  I grind them off, patch the metal and use newer wire harness management clips.

I think you'll find that the tabs are rusted so thin and their flexibility is next to nil so that restoration is not an option.  I grind them off, patch the metal and use newer wire harness management clips.

What about for the firewall ones? What have you done for those?

I media blasted them, and then they were repainted with everything else.  I used mostly paint stripper in my engine compartment, but corners, and all the stuff like this was handled by localized media blasting.  I had a simple gravity fed suction blaster, and used fine Black Diamond media (from Tractor Supply locally).  

I have been considering something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073RSB4GR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526873268&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=automotive+adhesive+cable+clips&dpPl=1&dpID=51QMjxhhhDL&ref=plSrch

I'm just not sure I want to create holes for the sole purpose of cable management, so I'm thinking something along these lines would be an option.

I have used those in my IT business for years for interior cable management.  They will not stay stuck unless you run a screw through the hole right in the middle of the clip.  They are not very permanent even for the interior purpose they were designed for.

And you only need a few extra non-factory holes to use great fasteners like these in the engine bay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Push-Mount-Cable-Tie-For-Imports-200mm-Length-Made-in-USA-Free-Shipping/401311397271?hash=item5d7005f597:g:Dy8AAOSw0Lha-USX

9 hours ago, halboyles said:

I have used those in my IT business for years for interior cable management.  They will not stay stuck unless you run a screw through the hole right in the middle of the clip.  They are not very permanent even for the interior purpose they were designed for.

And you only need a few extra non-factory holes to use great fasteners like these in the engine bay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Push-Mount-Cable-Tie-For-Imports-200mm-Length-Made-in-USA-Free-Shipping/401311397271?hash=item5d7005f597:g:Dy8AAOSw0Lha-USX

The lifespan of the adhesive was one of my questions on that. Now I know. :)

I do like the made in the USA aspect of your link. More options are always good.