9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've  removed the original 67 1600 manual pushrod clutch and tiny brake master cylinder pedal cluster.

Next I want to install a 245 5 speed from an 81 320i donor car on which I have everything, including the original clutch mc and slave.

Then install the vented 320i rotors and Volvo calipers (big brakes) and the larger 320i rear drums and cylinder.

What do I mount for  clutch mc (2002? 320i) and will it mount how on the 67 pedal box? Obviously I need to do some welding.

THEN WTF to do about the brake MC and booster? I do not want to convert to the stock upstairs 2002 MC linkage and booster due to dual carbs etc. Plus it's a 67 with a remote booster. So the new brake MC (1600, 320i, 2002??? -I have good 320i and 2002 MCs/1600 is shot. Also have a box of various Wilwood single MCs)  will mount on the pedal box and then will or will not use the existing remote booster in the plumbing circuit. I'm prepared to eliminate the remote booster completely if I can get the "Big Brake" pedal pressure and response OK for the street but I'd rather be advised by smart guys than go through 4 or 5 MCs to get it right. This is a street car only. No track time.

Help please.

IMG_1853 (1).jpg

IMG_1855 (1).jpg

IMG_1856 (1).jpg

Just now, andyleonard said:

I've  removed the original 67 1600 manual pushrod clutch and tiny brake master cylinder pedal cluster.

Next I want to install a 245 5 speed from an 81 320i donor car on which I have everything, including the original clutch mc and slave.

Then install the vented 320i rotors and Volvo calipers (big brakes) and the larger 320i rear drums and cylinder.

What do I mount for  clutch mc (2002? 320i) and will it mount how on the 67 pedal box? Obviously I need to do some welding.

THEN WTF to do about the brake MC and booster? I do not want to convert to the stock upstairs 2002 MC linkage and booster due to dual carbs etc. Plus it's a 67 with a remote booster. So the new brake MC (1600, 320i, 2002??? -I have good 320i and 2002 MCs. Also have a box of various Wilwood single MCs)  will mount on the pedal box and then will or will not use the existing remote booster in the plumbing circuit. I'm prepared to eliminate the remote booster completely if I can get the "Big Brake" pedal pressure and response OK for the street but I'd rather be advised by smart guys than go through 4 or 5 MCs to get it right. This is a street car only. No track time.

Help please.

IMG_1853 (1).jpg

IMG_1855 (1).jpg

IMG_1856 (1).jpg

holy cow....we are in a very similar boat... I just pulled the original booster out of my 1968 1600-2.  I too have a 81 320is donor car waiting to be picked through (like a vulture munching some roadkill). 

Im using the head, trans, drive shaft, lsd and the subject of this thread the mC and the booster. 

Now - based on some searching through the older 2002faq  posts it seems like the 320i mc and booster can be used.  But - the 1600 pedal box you have may not be plug and play as I understand it....which means I may be wrong.  So some extra comments and our research of older threads will be required.

If you want to use that pedal box some modification may be required. Sorry I can’t help you there,  I think some folks have welded it to make it work.  Search the FAQ. 

I bought a refirbed pedal box and a the bracket that fits into the fire wall and holds the booster and the MC on the 2002. 

What I think is my path forward is to use the new pedal box, 320i booster and 320i mc to Wilwood single circuit front brakes and the larger 320i  drums in the rear with the 2002 turbo e-brake cables (they are longer).

now if anyone out there thinks this is not gonna work please advise.  Thanks....

How are you using the 320i driveshaft? You mean cutting the front flange off to weld on your existing driveshaft? They're quite different from the 2002 and certainly from the 1600 I think.

I'll bet the 320i MC and booster will work with the 2002 setup but my carbs are in the way.

8 hours ago, andyleonard said:

How are you using the 320i driveshaft? You mean cutting the front flange off to weld on your existing driveshaft? They're quite different from the 2002 and certainly from the 1600 I think.

I'm putting the 320is 5spd trans in the 1600 with the 320is drive shaft currently connected to the trans and LSD. Drive shaft may need to be shortened but I'll measure that once the trans and LSD are installed and send it out to a drive shaft shop. 

I think the 1600s have long neck diffs, and you’ll need a shortneck subframe for that LSD.. could be a pain, maybe consider selling the lsd to me? 

Welp. Studying this problem using "Alpina pedal box" and "racing pedal box" to search, it seems like I need to rework my 1600 manual clutch pedal box with a new "faceplate" to accept a brake MC through the existing hole (with a different bolt pattern) and a clutch MC in a new hole in front of the clutch pedal. I thought about getting a 2002 pedal box with a clutch MC hole there already...but I'd still have to make a plate and a place for the brake MC on the other side, as the 2002 box has only the slot for the upstairs linkage. So, 50/50 and this one's right here.

So I'll use the clutch MC and slave off the 320i for the 245 (research now indicates I need vertical bolt hole from 2002 not horizontal from 320i) and figure out a 22mm brake MC with a dual circuit that won't hit the steering. We used to use a Bavaria MC upstairs on these cars with big brakes but I've never fitted one downstairs. It might be too long. Looks like if I go that route, the remote 1600 booster is coming off.

Comment/controversy?

IMG_1855 (1).jpg

Edited by andyleonard