landon

E30 TO bearing

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Good knowledgeable people here so I'll throw this question out there. I have E30 325ix. Started hearing loud whine from trans tunnel area and feel vibration in clutch pedal. Car shifts fine - no slipping of clutch. I'm thinking TO bearing. 270k on original setup so time to do clutch job. I need to get it to shop for this and the preferred shop is 170 miles away. All freeway driving - maybe use the clutch 20-30 times getting on and off the freeway. Is this possible? What else can get damaged? Is it likely to fail and leave me stranded? I remember years ago with the 02 losing the clutch and being able to limp it home with speed shifting and starting in first gear. Is that the worst that can happen here?

Thanks for thoughts!.

I also have a 325ix (Touring) which just hit 250k kms and I'm also thinking my throwout bearing is on it's way out. I can hear it whine when it's in neutral and I'm listening under the car. When I slightly push on the clutch pedal, the whining/noise is gone.

I'm not really looking forward to replace the clutch as you also need to remove the transfercase with it..

Might be another matter but while it's apart, I had an IX that had a front driveshaft spline worn out when i bought it.  The splines are not a designated lubrication point, so pack some moly grease on it.  Not only was the drive shaft splines worn beyond use, but it was left go and the transfer case sprocket splines were shot too.  Be sitting on the throne when you see the price because the sprocket is not sold singularly, but in a matched set of upper and lower sprockets plus chain.

You will note that only about half the splines were used.  This is by design to allow shaft removal.  So I designed a spacer at the guibo that retains the safety centering feature.  Don't be a hacker and use longer bolts and washers because if it comes apart on the road your legs are gone.

Driveshaft as removed 2.JPG

Xfer Case As found.JPG

Spacer.JPG

Thanks Jim for the info. We'll look at those when it's apart. I am aware of the spline issue and have had the splines lubricated periodically for regular maintenance. They looked great last time we checked.....