toothfixer

suspension experts, different ride height left and right

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a 74 tii with bilstein HDs and blue h&r springs. Previous owner had done the suspension. Drivers side sits about 4mm higher than the passengers side. Any ideas on how to diagnose or what to look for? Or is it normal for an old car?

4mm? That is just a bit over 1/8".  How are you measuring it?  Did you make sure the tires were the at the same pressure?  I suppose it is possible someone "balanced" the chassis on scales with a driver (or the equivalent amount of weight) in the driver's seat. 

The real answer is that is WAY closer to being level than I would expect on a NEW car.  Move on, nothing to worry about here. 

• Like 2

Check to see if the front springs are seated in their perches correctly. The ends of the springs should be up against the stops on the perches.

Do both sides have the rubber spring pads installed? 

Short "sport" springs tend to fall out of their perches when the car is jacked. Both sides of the car should be the same height (when the driver seat is empty).

Is that with you in the car?  As Byron said that is fine for a street car.  I will be swapping springs side to side soon after 100+K  they sag.  G

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Check to see if the front springs are seated in their perches correctly. The ends of the springs should be up against the stops on the perches.

Do both sides have the rubber spring pads installed? 

Short "sport" springs tend to fall out of their perches when the car is jacked. Both sides of the car should be the same height (when the driver seat is empty).

I will check that the springs are up against the perches

40 minutes ago, gracer said:

Is that with you in the car?  As Byron said that is fine for a street car.  I will be swapping springs side to side soon after 100+K  they sag.  G

measurements taken without me in the car

15 hours ago, toothfixer said:

I have a 74 tii with bilstein HDs and blue h&r springs. Previous owner had done the suspension. Drivers side sits about 4mm higher than the passengers side. Any ideas on how to diagnose or what to look for? Or is it normal for an old car?

Man... 4mm is likely less tolerance than your tires are produced with, let alone the stack-up of Spring-to-spring pads-to-strut-to-strut-bearing-to-undercoating/paint/etc. Most road gravel is larger :)  What's the history of the car? I'm sure allot of our vehicles likely took a bumb or hit or two in their 40+ year life and aren't as perfectly straight as they rolled of the factory. 

I would be concerned out bout 4cm, not 4mm. But... if something does seem to be off or weird, does the car have aftermarket swaybars? Where they torqued down/installed with the wheels hanging free or on the ground? 

Might be some odd Pre-load side-to-side. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1

Can you show us a picture of where you take your measurements?

From the ground through the wheel center to the fender lip?  Are you on level ground? Battery in stock position, or in trunk? Gas tank full? Tires same make, size and air pressure?

2002Scoob is right.....4mm is not much to wring your hands over.

4 hours ago, John76 said:

Can you show us a picture of where you take your measurements?

From the ground through the wheel center to the fender lip?  Are you on level ground? Battery in stock position, or in trunk? Gas tank full? Tires same make, size and air pressure?

2002Scoob is right.....4mm is not much to wring your hands over.

I filled up the tires to 36 psi and measured from the floor to the edge of the wheel well. My garage is relatively level. The fuel tank was full and the battery is in the trunk. Same wheels and tires all around. The measurements were off by 9mm with the passenger side higher than the drivers side. I checked that the springs were seated properly on the pads. I will attach some pictures. 

IMG_8292.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_9874.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

Measure from the floor to the center of the bolt that attaches the lower control arm to the front cross member.  This will tell you how level your chassis is,  the measurement to the fender lip assumes that any repair work over the last 40+ years to the body was controlled to a dimension +/- 10mm. 

My 74 has the same problem it was pronounced enough to be visibly low in the left rear I measured everything I could think of and never did find anything definite wrong with it, I had the car since new and it's had no accidents or repair to the rear at all and the car handles well so I made up the difference by using a thicker spring spacer on that side and called it good. 

Me, I'd do what Gordon suggested and try swapping the springs side- to- side.

They do sag, and ideally, you want the car level with your butt in the driver's seat.

And yes, a cm one way or the other matters far less than getting your tire pressures right!

(I run 26- 28 psi, personally.  hee)

t

I have the same issue, but mine is pretty sever and the height differences is about an inch and half, the drivers side I cant put any of my fingers in between the tire and the fender well, but my passengers side I can put just about two :( 

If your'e going to swap springs from side to side you might want to put them next to each other to see if there is any difference between the 2.

But, like everyone else says, don't worry about it..