• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002tii SoCal "Barn Find" Resurrected after 22 years

PDWebb

Yesterday was an exciting day and after 15 years of wrenching on various BMWs, their engineering continues to amaze me.

In short, we started for the first time, after 22 years storage, our 1974 Amazon Green 2002tii that we picked up a year ago, and have been working on slowly. I'd not yet posted on this car and want to give a huge thank you to the faq! After carefully following all the instructions on resurrecting a tii after long storage, the "ran when parked" recovery, the Amazon tii is running wonderfully.

We learned a lot about this Amazon tii as we went along. You'll see in the pic below it has had its nose replaced at one point with a non-tii nose (snorkel) and I'm assuming at that point is when it received its respray. Other than that, the car is amazingly original and in excellent rust-free shape, interior is wonderful. We replaced and serviced everything needed to freshen her up.

This is a bit embarrassing, I previously posted here the car has 53k miles, I had records indicating that from the mid 90s, the car in fact has 153k miles, I dug deeper into the car's records. Like I said, this has been a road of discovery. Still happy it's running so well.

Thank you again faq! Patrick

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Edited by PDWebb
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Patrick

She is some kinda of wonderful, crazy low miles and blue plates. That car looks bone dry, don't do a thing.  The great snorkel debate...from what I've read, with certainty I can tell you it may have come from factory that way or no way it could have, unless you're sure it was a replacement.  Gray strut covers, round relays, perforated door VIN sticker, positive cable hold down bracket?  Put the car in the registry with your manufacturing date when you get a chance. This will give us crazy people a good reference point.

Rastadog, the very last thing was the clean out of the banjo bolt screen going into the K-fish pump, and also replacing the four o-rings on the allen plugs above the suction valves. Thankfully everything was nice and clean. Before that, the entire fuel system, starting at the tank.

Steve, just added to the registry, was a 21 February 1974 build. I have only the one gray strut cover, didn't touch the relays other than checking how clean they were at their plugs, yes to the positive cable hold down bracket and yes to the perforated door VIN sticker (if by perforated you mean all the cut circles throughout it). I am pretty certain on the nose replacement, based on the welds I can see.

Carl, I've enjoyed seeing your posts logging your tii in and around Simi. We are both sporting untouched wheels, though the Amazon tii did need new tires. What's fun is the spare looks to be never used and is sporting the very old Michelin in awesome condition.

And Joe, the Amazon tii is now bathed :)

Edited by PDWebb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PDWebb said:

Rastadog, the very last thing was the clean out of the banjo bolt screen going into the K-fish pump, and also replacing the four o-rings on the allen plugs above the suction valves. Thankfully everything was nice and clean. Before that, the entire fuel system, starting at the tank.

Steve, just added to the registry, was a 21 February 1974 build. I have only the one gray strut cover, didn't touch the relays other than checking how clean they were at their plugs, yes to the positive cable hold down bracket and yes to the perforated door VIN sticker (if by perforated you mean all the cut circles throughout it). I am pretty certain on the nose replacement, based on the welds I can see.

Carl, I've enjoyed seeing your posts logging your tii in and around Simi. We are both sporting untouched wheels, though the Amazon tii did need new tires. What's fun is the spare looks to be never used and is sporting the very old Michelin in awesome condition.

And Joe, the Amazon tii is now bathed :)

Clean cars are happy cars ;) I think your Amazon may be 2 months older than my Polaris>Sienna, which needs a bath.

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

Wow...

Very jealous of the condition of the interior.

I would very much like to do a color match on your carpet.

The stuffing on your seats seems rather robust.

Willing to reveal the story behind you finding this beaut?

Edited by otisdog

Damn! I should have put mine in a barn when I bought it instead of driving it all these years.

• Like 1

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Thank you again everyone for all the positive feedback! And apologies again for not posting on this sooner. The faq is such a great resource it was answering all my questions along the way, and I tend to not say much.

Anyone who would like a picture, to swing by, or info on anything to help on originality of their own cars, happy to help out. We are in Ventura County, just northwest of LA, and near a lot of the fun canyons :)

otisdog, just pm'd you. You'd be most welcome! The seats really amazed me, almost like they've never been used.

On the story, we were very blessed to receive the lead on it from our neighbors and after visiting with the previous owners, everything came together.

Edited by PDWebb

7 hours ago, PDWebb said:

What's fun is the spare looks to be never used and is sporting the very old Michelin in awesome condition.

Same here! Michelin in the trunk still has the little nubs.  Smells like 1972!  

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged