2002Scoob

Induction-Heated Bolt Removal Tool.

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Suppose if you worked on rusty stuff a lot...  (says the jerk that lives in Colorado)

$570 seems steep.  I would have to have a need then give it a try...

I guess it's heating up the metal around the fastener, not the fastener itself, getting the surrounding metal to expand a little and let go of the fastener.

1 hour ago, irdave said:

Suppose if you worked on rusty stuff a lot...  (says the jerk that lives in Colorado)

$570 seems steep.  I would have to have a need then give it a try...

I guess it's heating up the metal around the fastener, not the fastener itself, getting the surrounding metal to expand a little and let go of the fastener.

YOu could always make your own outa' a scrap microwave oven tranformer. 

Somebody out there's gotta need a new weekend project :)

Edited by 2002Scoob

what about just a run of the mill $20 propane torch?

The flat head fords are a bitch to get the bolts out. I know guys that run a “secret cocktail” of stuff in them (assuming they are running) for 15-20 min. Then when they go to diss assemble them the heads come off easier. It seems like it would work best for shorter bolts, since the head would transmit the heat to the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My farmer grandfather in Missouri years ago used a unique bolt/nut removal technique on his tractor. He would heat up the rusty bolt or nut with a propane torch and then touch a wax candle to the hot area. The wax appeared to wick into the threads and allow the bolt/nut to release. Was fascinating to watch.

• Like 2

There is an affordable (about $130) unit out there called a "Bolt Buster".  Look up those if you want an induction unit.

Jose

My farmer grandfather in Missouri years ago used a unique bolt/nut removal technique on his tractor. He would heat up the rusty bolt or nut with a propane torch and then touch a wax candle to the hot area. The wax appeared to wick into the threads and allow the bolt/nut to release. Was fascinating to watch.

Grandads are the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk