• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber DGV to Stock Air Cleaner Adapter -- Base Flange

'76mintgrün'02

Price: $40

Description:

047.thumb.JPG.cc4f796a43262462a4050d09ecc98ade.JPG

I've made some adapter flanges to go on the underside of the stock air cleaner (after the original flange has been trimmed down) , to be used with the cast aluminum Weber/JAM adapters (not included).  (EDIT: I mistook my adapter as a JAM adapter, they are different, as can be seen in Buckeye's post below)

042.thumb.JPG.0b6ba4edbb9151abd8912bcb41f6a7c9.JPG

These flanges enable the use of the stock rubber seal, once it has been cut down.

026.thumb.JPG.faa38450ad669be3122fa09c89d01d5c.JPG036.thumb.JPG.e354ddc4967442cecd48792a669c91ce.JPG

I will include a plywood insert/support, as well as a height guide for cutting the rubber seal.

010.thumb.JPG.97c2c43ee89e0ec4cac84d7fb48fbc57.JPG

There is information about the installation in this thread

I highly suggest test fitting, using small balls of soft clay, as seen in the link provided.

In fact, I will include some clay, if you'd like.  :) 

The price of the 'kit' is $40, plus $5 shipping to the lower 48.  PayPal accepted/preferred.

Please send me a PM for PP details, if you are interested.

Thanks,
Tom

Edited by '76mintgrun'02
  • Like 1

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

31 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

butchered

could you post a few photos of the damage?

DISCLAIMER -- I now disagree with much of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book as timing maps for our engines.  I've also switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results.  I apologize for spreading misinformation. 

(3-28-2024)  

On 5/15/2018 at 11:31 PM, Dudeland said:

Dam I would get one, but my PO butchered my air cleaner. 

Used 2-barrel airboxes are pretty darned common, since 60% of all ‘02’s run Weber downdrafts and those rectangular aftermarket air filters....

Tom’s adapter is so beautiful, it would be worth replacing your butchered unit....  ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I believe the Weber adapters are still being made, but not the JAM adapters.

(I am not sure that the one I have is a JAM unit though, since it does not have any markings).

The Weber brand adapters are included in some Redline kits, but I have not seen them sold separately.

I have not looked very hard though.

Here is an image showing one.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM204xgN0aB7P-Y4b3FP2YZ7D7qilNJj-m72gPdeaMNNObXfQw0zK_Sa7-F2OBDx1W7ZuwDNw&usqp=CAY

If you can find the other style, I think they are a better choice.

That is actually a funny image, because it includes the cigar box filter and the adapter for the stock filter.

It is a matter of one or the other, really.

• Like 1

(3-28-2024)  

@'76mintgrun'02 Yeah, I had the 32/36 DGAV installed by a shop in Marin County quite a few years ago, and thought I didn't receive the adapter, but I just went looking in the parts stashes and I found it in the original box with the extra parts and old parts including the old Solex.  At this point I'd rather "copy exact" your parts/method for the best result, so we will see. Thanks for your help!

You're welcome.  The modification of the filter base and use of this flange is the same, regardless of which adapter you use. 

I am not sure which adapter works best with the stock filter mounting brackets.  It may be that the way Weber offset the oval hole over the carb top was intending to replicate the placement of the filter on the Solex, with regard to the brackets.  I received bent brackets with my filter and bent them around some more to make them fit for my setup and I don't have stock ones to compare.

As a side note, I almost bought another manifold with an original Solex, to have as a set-up tester; but it was funny, the guy that was selling it said "Nah, you don't want that thing."  I should have argued.  He meant I did not want to run it, I think. 

Sorry if this is too much discussion for the sales forum.  I know there is sort of a taboo against selling in the discussion section... I hope the reverse is not true.  

Tom

• Like 1

(3-28-2024)  

11 hours ago, golf73 said:

The JAM adapters don't seem to be available anymore! Rats. I'd like to buy this but I guess I need to make a Parts Wanted ad first!

I have one spare that could let go.

• Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

3 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

I have one

Could you post a photo?

Or, just clarify that it is like the one on the left in these photos?

070.thumb.JPG.525b0ae5da9da34eb9580de7611b1012.JPG

076.thumb.JPG.adf4841f0925771ce3a424e16d6f50c0.JPG

thanks,

Tom

(3-28-2024)