• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOT: pipe benders for roll cage tubing?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

pipebender.jpg

So turns out that the guy at the shop who owns the pipe bender won't let us use it (not sure why, but whatever). Anyways, here is a bender I can get locally (funds in CANADIAN). Has anyone used these style of benders? I was thinking of the cheaper ($264 CDN) one, I think it should do the job just fine, but I am out of my league here

thoughts?

thanks

Matt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

pipe and tube have different outside dimensions for the same specified size. So the dies supplied with a pipe bender will not properly support a piece of DOM tubing. I have read about people modifying the pipe benders, packing the tubes with sand, and other potential work arounds but it sure sounds like a lot of extra work with questionable results.

I would ante up and get the right tool that will make the proper unkinked bend.

Guest Anonymous

Nope... can't use it for roll cage... It puts a depressed section into tubing... so it would make the cage illegal. you would need to get a real mandrel bender with real mandrels... which are like $350 for the bender and and $300 for each mandrel..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32888

The item ur looking at... rebadged and sold at 2x cost

http://www.lowbucktools.com/benderFAQ.html

http://www.lowbucktools.com/hydbender.html

This is what small run small fab shops use for roll cages and they make a non hydraulic one where you pull on a big stick for about $350 as well.. I just can't find the link to it... with that one you could make 180degree bends... if you'd ever need to or anything...

Guest Anonymous

DSC00803.JPG

Here is a rare picture of a tube bending spirit possessing JonathanT while we were bending up my main hoop. Or maybe it is just a weird sun spot. FWIW the lowbuck bender is easy to use.

Guest Anonymous

I also posted this to GRM and someone replied with the same 'lobuck faq' link. I'm glad I see the light now. I may try to get my brother to go halfers on their 'tube bender special' for $799 right now. We have at least 3 or 4 cars we want to cage, so it would defintely end up being worth it.

Plus I just like doing things myself :)

thanks

Matt

Guest Anonymous

I've got a friend that has that bender and tho it is easy to bend with (with enough leverage pipe on the handle) it's difficult to set up exacting angles due to working on a horizontal plane instead of vertical.

(compass vs bubble level)

just my 02cents worth of observation...

Guest Anonymous

DSC00981.JPG

The angle finder from HF allowed repeatable bends once you figure out what spring back is to be expected (buy 2 they are cheap). This included 2 bends in different planes on the same tube as was done for the front legs. The only thing I was worried about at the beginning was the large radius die used in the lowbuck kit. It is like 8" or 7.5" to center. It does not allow for as quite a tight fit to the shell when compared to a smaller radius bend die. It turned out to be no big deal.

Guest Anonymous

have never used that light a set-up. See if you can find an electrican. they typically use Greenlee benders for their conduit and the dies are usually a much longer radius (which is good)than what I see on your enclosed pics. Perhaps he can either pre-bend for you or you can rent it for a weekend.

Guest Anonymous

You can probably buy the 45 and 90 deg fittings for your tubing and just weld them up OR if you are feeling adventurous you can just get the tubing and use a cut-off saw (light gauge, right?) to form your own fittings. If you use good gussets plates that would be okay. Happy Trails