• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New License Plate Lights/Covers

The license plate lights or even just new covers have gone NLA for a long time now. Iv'e been searching on the internet for about an hour. No luck.

Has anyone found something that is a good alternative? I believe my cracked up originals were from Hella.  

63-26-8-777-102-M9.jpg

There are lots of generic number plate lights around with similar form/ factor but I will leave the aesthetics up to you (last time I suggested suitable LED ones for the rear bumper I was pilloried) :D

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

They're obviously made by Hella and were used on other contemporary German cars; has anyone approached Hella about re-making 'em--or check with Audi or VW vintage part vendors for availability.

Barring that...wonder if they could be 3D printed...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm working on it on two fronts. 

1) An old designer friend works with HELLA on a regular basis.  He has a couple buddies up the food chain there who have agreed to look at producing them again.  Deadline to hear back on that is about a month.

2) If #1 fails, I scan the part, am getting ready to have it printed to make an injection mold. Have a few injection quotes and one of them ready to go.

Either way, by next year this time they will be available again.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 11

Thats all good news. I actually did find a set from a Porsche parts site. Only $195. I'll duct tape a flashlight to my bumper when I want to drive at night instead of that. Thought I also found a set that were black instead of chrome. Description said they were 5 inches tall! Glad I read the description. 

Simeon, I wouldn't mind exploring the LED ones but not for the bumper. I have a bumper tuck on a 75. I think it might look stupid on that big bumper. I'm sure if I did that I would be next in line for the pillory.

Maybe for the short term, I could use those bolt/lights until they become available again. Anybody ever tried those?

Here is an image that I stole from the internet without permission. (I've been guilty of that twice this week)

imageproxy.php.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Go ahead and shoot me....found these LED's that may work. Not my favorite option but better than nothing until they become available again. They are period correct...... for 2016. $13 bucks.

https://www.pilotlights.net/led-convenience-license-plate-light-6-internal-leds-waterproof-12vdc-or-24vdc-versions

sm03-w12 image A.jpg

Cough :o (those were pretty much the same as the in bumper ones I picked out before). 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

2 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

Thats all good news. I actually did find a set from a Porsche parts site. Only $195. I'll duct tape a flashlight to my bumper when I want to drive at night instead of that. Thought I also found a set that were black instead of chrome. Description said they were 5 inches tall! Glad I read the description. 

Simeon, I wouldn't mind exploring the LED ones but not for the bumper. I have a bumper tuck on a 75. I think it might look stupid on that big bumper. I'm sure if I did that I would be next in line for the pillory.

Maybe for the short term, I could use those bolt/lights until they become available again. Anybody ever tried those?

Here is an image that I stole from the internet without permission. (I've been guilty of that twice this week)

imageproxy.php.jpeg

I actually bought some ‘number plate bolts’ from eBay when I was planning on running my car without a rear bumper for an extended period. Never fitted them but I thought they might be a good solution. 

rtheriaque wrote:

4 hours ago, Jbaumshelter said:

imageproxy.php.jpeg

I run them on my old IH pick-up. They work well, but the ones I bought were of low quality. I had to take one apart to repair the wiring due to a short. Something else to consider is the wiring. If you ever intend to remove the plate you either cut the wiring each time or use some very small connectors. I used the Deutsch DTM gold plated connector pins from the local Cat dealer. I sealed them with Heatshtink. Been holding up fine for 4yrs now on a truck that lives outside. 

7 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

1) An old designer friend works with HELLA on a regular basis.  He has a couple buddies up the food chain there who have agreed to look at producing them again.  Deadline to hear back on that is about a month.

2) If #1 fails, I scan the part, am getting ready to have it printed to make an injection mold. Have a few injection quotes and one of them ready to go.

Thank you, Andrew,

There are thousands of old license plate lights out there — yes, 98.7% are cracked. If new OEM versions, or your versions, are not available when the ‘73 needs them after its repaint, I’ll use old ones — cracked ones, I’m certain — until new ones became available. It’s not like you have to pull the engine to swap them when the new ones become available, and how many of our 45-year-old cars are 100% without defects?  Certainly neither of my cars... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Awesome!  I'll definitely be interested in either one of these options if/when they become available!

Rich Elliott >> 1970 BMW 2002 >> a.k.a. LowKeyBuilds

>> CLICK HERE to check out and subscribe my build progress on YouTube! 

>> CLICK HERE to check out and follow my build on Instagram!

lowkey-60.png.f37d29a345edd0b40683374af6de942c.png