• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 windshield washers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My son recently purchased a 73 2002. He had to replace the windshield washer motor. Now the washer squirts sort of lazily. At the squirt end of the system, there are sort of crimps in the metal tubes, but no nozzles per se. Is he missing nozzles, and if so, how can he get some? response to email address appreciated, as I am semi computer illerate and may never find this messageboard again. Thanks: Dave and Tim

Guest Anonymous

at the end of the line you should see two "question-mark like" metal tubes which spray the water on your windshield.

you can try and remove those first and clean them if possible with a needle, etc.

Same for the actual washer hoses, make sure they are clean. that might resolve your problem. Mine isn't really powerful either like you would see on a modern car. They just pump enough to get water onto the windshield....

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

make sure tubing from pump to nozzle is fresh( cheap at any marine store, or even auto store). be sure no kinks.test pump and tube before attachment to nozzle. should have steady stream out of tubing. the car should have existing nozzles. take fine wire, or a pin, and ream out nozzle opening. they collect water impurity crap and clog easily. then reattach and see if spray has improved. nozzles can be gently bent to avoid louvers and to hit window at correct spot. New nozzles available if old ones are kaput. they are around 13-20 bucks each, if i remember right. they are nice and bright and they are attached at base by 10mm lock nut, i think. BTW, the pump bmw sells for 02s now is attached to the wrong base for a round light car. you need to take new pump and attach it to old base. good luck- a bit of trial and error and you should have strong spray soon.

Guest Anonymous

that crimped end with the itty bitty round hole is all the nozzle you get. Best thing to clean out with is a bit of mig welding wire or piano wire--deposits form in those little holes and clog 'em. The pump is strong enough to squirt water all the way over the car's roof if the nozzles are misadjusted, so I suspect a kinked hose or clogged nozzle. And as was pointed out, make sure the nozzles are aimed so they miss the hood louvers and the windshield wiper arms/blades.

Cheers

Mike