• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Swap question

So I need to rebuild my engine in my 76 carbureted 2002.  I can either rebuild my engine or I have the option of buying a 1979 320i with a fuel injected M10 engine that was rebuilt 50k miles ago.  I can get the 320i for $500 so I'm leaning towards that option if its a relatively easy engine swap.

Here's my question for someone that may have done this swap: Aside from dropping the engine in, what modifications need to be made to my car for the engine to work?  I know the throttle linkage will be different.  Are there alot of electric changes that need to be made?  Do I need to make changes to the fuel delivery (I have an electrical fuel pump now)?  Lastly, I have an aluminum radiator that should work on both engines.  

Thanks,

Roberto 

Coupla ways to proceed.  

1.  Take the entire 320 motor and install in your car complete with the fuel injection system.  Wiring up the electrics isn't terribly difficult--there should be plenty of info on that in the archives.  Same with the throttle linkage.  Drawback:  the Bosch Jetronic EFI system is an early version of EFI and can be techy.  You may have trouble finding someone who can (or will) work on one.  

2.  Take the 320 motor, pull the fuel injection system, and install the intake manifold/carb setup from your '76.   You already have electric fuel pump (there's no provision for a mechanical pump on that engine) so that's done.  

Regardless, keep your old matching numbers engine; as our cars become more valuable, those matching numbers will be more important to a subsequent buyer.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

A search for 'e21 engine' will detail the 4 or 5 things you'd need to do to use the e21 motor.

It's not hard, and for $500, that makes good sense to me, too.

Don't use the CIS- it was never very good, and no- one wants to, or knows HOW to, work on it.

When you're  done, keep- or sell- the intake, as it's a neat way to add a tii- looking aftermarket efi system.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

3. Drop in the 320 motor and take the matching number motor to the machine shop to build your Hot Rod version with cam, high compression pistons and all the other goodies since that could end up taking awhile to mass all the parts ;)

5af45c781bb65_RussatStevesMachine(3).thumb.jpg.922c471f5cf2d9feba284995ab75815b.jpg 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Don't use the CIS- it was never very good, and no- one wants to, or knows HOW to, work on it.

throw the CIS in the neighbor's pool and convert it to a modern 3 Bar fuel injection system and blow the doors off a Tii :D

Finished 003.JPG

Finished 004.JPG

• Like 4

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks so much for the info guys.  Really good advice!  Got a question about the CIS for Toby and JimK (Awesome looking set up by the way JimK).  Without going into too much detail.  How complex is it to get a set up like Jimk's and would i have to source parts from other BMW Cars.  Could I use some of the Fuel injection parts from the 320i?  I guess my question is, since you guys say to throw away the CIS, is it worth installing that 320i engine if you guys say the CIS is garbage.  Im thinking I can drop the 320i engine in without making major modifications to the car, drive it for a while and if the CIS gives me problems down the road than I can do a more modern Fuel Injection conversion at that time.  Keep in mind, the 320i engine was rebuilt 50,000 miles ago (not sure if they rebuilt the fuel injection system) and my current 2002 engine is on its way out. 

Thanks again,

Roberto 

52 minutes ago, tzei said:

If you want EFI then source 1.8i L-jet system and put that to 320 engine. Done this and it was good.

Hi, To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what I want.  I have not looked into installing a EFI system.  I'm currently just waving my options with what is currently available to me.  My first response to the thread was simply to gain more information after reading the responses about trashing the CIS system.  I would rather not source parts from a 3rd bmw to upgrade the fuel injection system on the 320i engine but if that is the only option, I will dig deeper into that.  Im just wondering what if any parts of the 320i fuel injection system can be used for the modification mentioned by JimK, and if that modification can be done without sourcing parts from a 3rd BMW.  

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, jimk said:

hrow the CIS in the neighbor's pool and convert it to a modern 3 Bar fuel injection system and blow the doors off a Tii :D

Looks cool, a Tii alternator could give you some more room ;)

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

IMHO the simplest way to go would be to use your old carb on the 320i engine it will bolt on with out much trouble and you won't have to monkey with linkages and such. the csi system was finicky when new and with wear you really can't get it dialed in and get it to stay dialed in for long. If you want to later you can start gathering parts for a efi system which would be the best running of them all but 1 step at a time will probably get to your goal with less hassle.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

5 hours ago, doslucero said:

Awesome looking set up by the way JimK).  Without going into too much detail.  How complex is it to get a set up like Jimk's

Jim’s is somewhat different these days...but still awesome  :DEC8F1F74-2837-4EC4-9FAA-34E198734F19.thumb.jpeg.8ed40da83d7868172f2e4ff43a48391e.jpeg

Ed

• Like 3

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I second SoM- plop your carb on it, be happy.  The early 320 engine is mechanically

a late 2002, so it makes a perfect drop in.  You do have to change the oil pump

and oil pan.  And it makes sense to use the 2002 distributor, if it's in good shape.

Then, spend time looking at MegaSquirt and other, aftermarket EFI setups.

It's a big job, and it makes sense to get the engine in and running well on a carb

before you tackle it.  Most who do are thinking 'booooooosssttttt'

People DID put the CIS on, long ago, but I don't know any who kept it.

The 318i injection from the 84-85 e30 works far better, and there are more

than a few 2002s running around with it still.

my 02,

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

57 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The engine elves must have been at work overnight 

;)

Amazing what Miracle Grow can do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.