• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Bmw 1600

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its been almost a month since I paid the cash to have my car posted by Bring A Trailer. The car was approved, I sent a ton of photos, a couple videos, the write up I had for CL etc. They're communication is severely lacking. Ive turned down a lot of interest with the thought that the car would be on BAT any day now. At this point I'm tired of waiting and want to sell this car to fund my next project so! It's back on SF Bay Area CL. I'm around most of this weekend to show the car so if you're in the area and interested hit me up! I'd rather sell the car in person anway!

Thanks!

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

1 minute ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

Well, its been almost a month since I paid the cash to have my car posted by Bring A Trailer. The car was approved, I sent a ton of photos, a couple videos, the write up I had for CL etc. They're communication is severely lacking. Ive turned down a lot of interest with the thought that the car would be on BAT any day now. At this point I'm tired of waiting and want to sell this car to fund my next project so! It's back on SF Bay Area CL. I'm around most of this weekend to show the car so if you're in the area and interested hit me up! I'd rather sell the car in person anway!

Thanks!

you may want to update the link on page one.....

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the sale Max! I still want that embossed nose trim tho! [emoji6]

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

Hi all, I'm the guy who just bought this awesome 1600. Hopefully it will be in a nice enclosed truck on its way to Connecticut soon. I've been a (very) passive member of the board for a while but I haven't had an '02 since my agave '73 tii got totaled in the 90s.

Max has been great. Looking forward to getting my hands on the car and asking lots of questions of the experts here-- starting with, what is/was the color and material of the carpet in this car?

Thanks,

MIchael

152687134163f9955cABE8016C-C45F-4181-A99F-63C176F1A4E8.jpeg

15268713545619a3f009281d66901AF9-DA50-4497-904C-89B898F9DE43.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 7:25 PM, mccusername said:

Hi all, I'm the guy who just bought this awesome 1600. Hopefully it will be in a nice enclosed truck on its way to Connecticut soon. I've been a (very) passive member of the board for a while but I haven't had an '02 since my agave '73 tii got totaled in the 90s.

Max has been great. Looking forward to getting my hands on the car and asking lots of questions of the experts here-- starting with, what is/was the color and material of the carpet in this car?

Thanks,

MIchael

152687134163f9955cABE8016C-C45F-4181-A99F-63C176F1A4E8.jpeg

15268713545619a3f009281d66901AF9-DA50-4497-904C-89B898F9DE43.jpeg

Im going to bet money @Conserv knows the answer to this. 

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

2 hours ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

Im going to bet money @Conserv knows the answer to this. 

Michael,

These early cars generally — but not always — had Perlon carpet: very fine, almost like a felt, but also not the most durable carpet. I can’t tell from the photo whether yours is, indeed, Perlon, or is a square-weave wool. Like the vinyl — which most of us know un-officially as “UPS Brown” — BMW didn’t have catchy or proprietary names for their carpet colors. Perhaps someone else knows a color name used by BMW for this carpet — maybe a name used in the parts catalogue; I don’t. It might have been something as commonplace as Brown, Light Brown, or Tan.

Congrats. This looks like an exceptionally-original example. I’ve been hoping it would find a good home!

As the caretaker of an early ‘02 (technically, a 1600-2), your new car would be well-served if you read Anders fabulous thread on the earliest (1966) examples. It’s on the U.K. ‘02 forum:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

A ‘67 has more in common with a ‘66, with respect to details, than to the ‘68 and later cars.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve--

Thanks for your reply. I have to admit I was hoping you would chime in.

I have read the '66 guide on the UK forum. It's an incredible resource-- I'm sure I'll be going back to it many times. I previously owned a '73 tii but I was not actively looking for an early car so I have a lot to learn.

It's a little silly to try and puzzle out the carpet before I actually have possession of the car but it helps fill the time! Porsche used Perlon a great deal but I can't find it in anything but black or charcoal. If mine is not square weave, I'm might try Mercedes Feintuft or Porsche Silverknit, which have an almost felt-like texture and come in many colors.

I'm literally a little color blind so it's very hard for me at least to tell what the color of my carpet is, or was, but I will get many samples and do my best.

Michael

• 3 months later...

I've driven 1600s as primary transportation since 1982. That is all I own and drive. I've put over 600,000 miles on one of my cars with stock 1600 motor, trans and 4.11 diff. I'm one of the old school hard core. The 1600s are silk smooth when running properly and are much more comfortable at high revs compared to the 2 liter motor. One of my cars has a 2.0L motor installed by the previous owner. The 2.0L hates the 4.11 diff unless you couple it with an overdrive 5 speed. 1600ti pistons are difficult to find, but they are still available from some sources in Germany. All production "ti" motors used the same stock cam. They only differed in a bump in compression and carbs. Longer duration cams will give you a rougher idle, kill your bottom end and yield lower MPGs. My advice to you is leave it a stock 1600. And don't rebuild the motor with crappy aftermarket pistons. Use only Mahle or KS as used by the factory.  You can spend thousands and fall for all the high performance lingo advertised here on the board, and you will end up with a foul idling, less drivable, oil burning and low mpg motor.