• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Bmw 1600

14 hours ago, Slavs said:

My advice to you is leave it a stock 1600. And don't rebuild the motor with crappy aftermarket pistons.

That's the plan with this car. It just went into Sports Car Restoration (thank Nate!) and got a very good report card (thanks Max!). The leak down numbers were not great so if the engine needs to be opened up we will balance and polish etc and install 9.5 pistons. The idea being a very smooth, high-revving motor that looks stock to match the rest of the car.

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sad news for this super original 1600. Engine went to the machine shop and it turns out the block is cracked-- so it's never going to be original again. I could get another 1600 block with a close build date but that won't count to the real originality nerds, so might as well have fun and do a ti clone? It's still Sahara, though... yay...

Michael

0104191041b.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mccusername said:

Sad news for this super original 1600. Engine went to the machine shop and it turns out the block is cracked-- so it's never going to be original again. I could get another 1600 block with a close build date but that won't count to the real originality nerds, so might as well have fun and do a ti clone? It's still Sahara, though... yay...

Michael

0104191041b.jpg

Michael,

Very sorry to see this! Not common. Maybe from freezing or overheating.

You could still do a 1600ti approach with a closely-numbered 1.6-liter block. Does the head, presumably a type 118, have a casting date consistent with it being original to the car? If it remains good — I hesitate to hear after seeing the block — it could serve as a “link” to the original engine.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi, great car, nice to watch someone else do the hard work, my 1600-2 was manuf Nov '67, they had gone to the 12v battery … When I upgraded my AC I gave all orig. stuffing to Ben at 2002 AD so if you wanted to have orig AC it is waiting for you or upgrade to modern burr cold … 2K!!!  , I had 2nds of everything but I went for performance … driving the LA Valley in summer with windows up a real treat and the Valley girls will love the cool air  OMG … L

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

53 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Not common. Maybe from freezing or overheating.

It came from Seattle so probably was left a long time with no coolant. I guess it does freeze there. Just learned that the early engines have fewer freeze plugs, so that probably contributed. The car ran and the cracks did not reveal themselves until the machine shop deep cleaned the block.

Not sure what I'm going to do. There are, relatively speaking, a lot of early 1600s with matching engines but incorrect details. I've half tempted to take the rare bits from this one and make one correct, matching-numbers car. Difference between 'original' and 'correct' I guess.

9 hours ago, mccusername said:

Michael

Now THAT is a cracked block (I've seen a few, nothing of that magnitude). -KB

2 hours ago, mccusername said:

...This whole originality thing is going downhill fast. Might as well turn the car into this--

post-16036-13667666918463_thumb.jpg.38cb32133a9f4dcd55b978a5bbf29979.jpg

It does look pretty cool. Those must be 8”-or-so banded Borrani’s on the rear. But would you even change your name to “Lucky”? ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I was blowing blue smoke, cracked head … anti freeze  would seep in when stopped and at start would blow out,  Ben at bimmerdoc in San Diego had head type 118 for me & e bay seller had nos pistons ….. my vote make a factory stock ti    Conserv =  great idea ….   pls do not make race car = gone forever  ….  L

'67 BMW 1600-2 Sahara/Brown 133,000 ..'73 BMW R90/6 Blk/White pin/s 155,000

@Lucian That's the problem-- if they're nice enough to make into something cool then they're too nice to make into something cool.

No body work for this one. Trying to decide between true ti clone (which for me means welding in the correct airbox brackets and putting a hole in the only-one-crack dash for a clock) and period correct Alpina dual Webers (no bodywork, but some real Alpina engine bits and steering wheel at least). Alpina bits are even harder to find. I'e got a ti clock and steering wheel.