• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ignition help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So the ignition on my 72 starts in the second postion so i think its friend. i 'd love to have a normal one in the right position, so

put a universal on (eek)

Put an igniton on from a 73? taking the steering coloum off or hack saw the top? and bolt on the under side? lotta work

one issure the parts iginiton has many more wires coming out from the front part of it but just two at the base like the old one.. could i strip wires and have the never kind work?

thanks for any ideas before i skill saw for 2 hours 8(

Guest Anonymous

is held onto the lock assembly by two screws from the back. If you really have a bad switch, you should be able to attach the one from the '73 in its place very easily.

John N

Guest Anonymous

sorry was kinda busy when i was typing that

um I think the ignition is fried inside where the key goes not sure i can just switch the back of it.

Only one way to put a new on on and that is take the steering coloum off? or should i just get a universal?

Guest Anonymous

You can get that out easily, too. After removing under dash panels and the ignition switch from the back, all that's holding the tumblers in is a small steel pin that's visible from below. I've always drilled 'em out with a #36 drill (7/64" is closest inch size). The tumbler just slides out the front. Get a 6-32 self-tapping screw to replace the pin and just screw it in.

-Jerry

Guest Anonymous

Wow thanks, i thought of that but wasn't sure i could replace it with another.

Would a modle from a 74ish work even though there is more wires spilitng off from the two on front of the lock assemble work? i hope so

thanks again