• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for those crazy M20 guys....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking for some measurements.

Intro to my madness….

I have been dinking with an M42 engine swap for over a year. It has been slow going, because of stuff like working on our house, working crazy overtime, and finishing a bunch of little things on the car. Now hell or high water, that freaking engine is going to fit in the engine bay!

I am now using a Getrag 5speed out of a E21 323, so I will be in the same boat as all of you M20 guys. Now I have much more room fore and aft than you guys, so I can be pretty flexible with the placement of the engine. I would like to position it so that the bell housing is in the same spot as the M20 swap. That way in the future, if I feel the need for more displacement I can just “drop in” an M20 in place of my M42, without dinking with transmission mounting points or changing the length of the driveshaft again.

So I am in need of measurements, pictures, whatever. If I could get a measurement from the bellhousing to the edge of the subframe, or any other good measurements you can give me from any landmarks in the engine compartment. All I am trying to figure out is how close to the firewall I am going to go.

Thanks a bunch!

Peter