• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB - Exhaust manifold and heat shield for 1973

grotflo

RealOEM doesn’t provide enough detail regarding the various exhaust manifolds and heat shields to identify which manifold and shield go with which years. I have the manifold and shield below. If they’re what you’re looking for, let me know. Perhaps someone in the class will opine as to whether this is the right gear for your 73. 

Grice

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Thanks Grice.  I don't know the correct style for a '73 either (there are a bunch of threads on this topic on the FAQ, but nothing definite that I could find).  Maybe someone knows for sure if these are right.

I'll send you a PM to discuss in the meantime.

Garrett

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

1975 BMW R90S (Silver Smoke)

I think the aluminum heat shields appeared on early cars, then were replaced by steel heat shields, before 1973, then re-appeared on the 1976 49-state cars.  My confidence level that (a.) 1975 U.S.-spec cars — which all had thermal reactors — had steel heat shields; (b.) 1976 California-only cars — which had thermal reactors — had steel heat shields; and (c.) 1976 49-state cars had aluminum heat shields, is near 100%.  My confidence level that the early aluminum heat shields disappeared before 1973 is 65%!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the insight Steve!  I did some Google searching, but it seems like all the steel heat shields I see don't have the circular opening for the air pre-heating.  Maybe the ones I found are for tiis?  Like this one for example...

mg16y.jpg&key=3088a1c2c0c98e0ab0408255ad216187277c0fc9ca995089c89f19a34e345944

Was there a steel version for carb'd '02s with the air pre-heater port?  Are uncracked steel heat shield like hens teeth?  My car's not 100% original by any means, so maybe the cast aluminum version is a slight upgrade over the steel type.

1973 BMW 2002 (Verona)

1975 BMW R90S (Silver Smoke)

1 hour ago, grotflo said:

Thanks for the insight Steve!  I did some Google searching, but it seems like all the steel heat shields I see don't have the circular opening for the air pre-heating.  Maybe the ones I found are for tiis?  Like this one for example...

mg16y.jpg&key=3088a1c2c0c98e0ab0408255ad216187277c0fc9ca995089c89f19a34e345944

Was there a steel version for carb'd '02s with the air pre-heater port?  Are uncracked steel heat shield like hens teeth?  My car's not 100% original by any means, so maybe the cast aluminum version is a slight upgrade over the steel type.

Yes, the steel heat shields:

1. Cracked,

2. Rattled,

3. Were removed and discarded...

If an aluminum version will fit, go with it.  The original aluminum shield on my 49-state ‘76 has never given me a lick of trouble — he said, with fingers crossed, so as not to challenge the gods of the heat shields.... ?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey Garrett,

I will send the picture of the manifold tonight as we discussed, but in the meantime this is what I use on my 02 with the Stahl header. 

I believe it is an e21 gasket/shield, and I assume it would work with the stock manifold as well.

Maybe something to consider if you can't find a good shield.

Don

heat shield.jpg

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX