• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 AUTOMATIC | MINT FULLY RESTORED | GOLF YELLOW | NO RUST | ROUNDIE

EAGDC

On 5/6/2018 at 10:50 AM, Ck55 said:

Is it sold yet?

thx

Withdrawn from the BAT auction with cryptic explanation.  You might try contacting the seller directly to see if it is still available.

https://www.exclusiveautomotivegroup.com/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002-17/

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, EAGDC said:

Good Afternoon, 

Thanks for your inquiry. We had a collector flying in, purchase the vehicle and drive it back to his state. The vehicle went to a great home. 

Thanks, 

So why have you relisted it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-BMW-2002-tii-Coupe/372302322199?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

This car’s sale was...illuminating to me. It illustrated the great breadth and full range of the ‘02 market. I’ve viewed the ‘02 market primarily as bifurcated into (1.) a generally “stock-appearance” sub-market, and (2.) a “resto-mod” sub-market, which embraces body modifications, engine swaps (especially S14), and non-‘02 colors.

If I — and we all know that I’m a stock-appearance guy — saw a nicely restored, stock-appearing example, as this chromium yellow car is, I’d say, “That car needs a complete repaint, engine out, windows out, into its original color.  Take $20K off the price as that’s what a good paint job, at a top-notch shop, is going to cost.”

But that is not how this played out, presumably. There is, to my surprise, a real market for “stock-appearance” cars with material “non-stock” modifications, i.e., a color change to chromium yellow is very different from placing a flag mirror on a trap mirror car, or swapping tires and rims.

There is, I must conclude, a buyer out there for each and every nicely-finished ‘02. And there aren’t two sub-markets: there is an infinite range of ‘02 buyers. Make your ‘02 look good and, if you must sell it, you will find a buyer, at a good price. ‘02’s are hot! And to think that, in 1973, when I bought my first ‘02, my buddies with Mustangs and Cuba’s thought I was a nerd.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Your right but I will speculate that since the value of the 02 has quickly gone up less folks want that in an 02.

My personal case in point:

For a long time I wanted to paint an '02 Rondel Blue. A buddy had his '69 painted that back in the 90's and I was over  the moon with that car. That lasted up until July of last year when I found this forum surfing the net...

The FAQ made me change my mind. After only a week of finally being a member (and reading every single thing I could possibly read trying to get up to speed) I realized that might not be such a good idea financially and historically

I still love the color. Reminds of an M3 in Laguna Seca Blue...who doesn't love that combo? I'm an E46 guy and the M3 painted that blue...to me..looks amazing.

Just to be 100% honest...that shade of yellow on an 02 makes me want to vomit. Just my opinion of being a converted to  fanatical 'all OE guy (and not a big yellow fan at all)

Now put that color on a Ferrari, Lambo.... or some hotrods and it can be OK

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, iinca said:

...My personal case in point: For a long time I wanted to paint his '69 '02 Rondel Blue. A buddy had his painted that back in the 90's and I was over  the moon with that car. 

The FAQ made me change my mind. After only a week of finally being a member (and reading every single thing I could possibly read) I realized that might not be such a good idea financially and historically....

And I’d wager that the owner of the Golf-converted-to-Chromium-Yellow ‘02 was not a forum member....

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...