• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 BMW 2002tii rear panel emblem placement

Gearbox

Hi all, just picked up a 1973 2002tii and came upon something strange, the "2002tii" emblem placement on the rear panel appears to not be in the correct spot, rather where the 74 is normally placed.  I checked all the numbers for the car and it does show it as a 1973 tii, plus it's a roundie, so I'm a bit confused.  I thought all roundies had the emblem placed on the lower right along with a BMW Roundel.  The Turkisblau is my car on the attached pics.  Also, the license plate lamps are not attached to body, but rather on a separate plate much like my 76 02 has.  From what I have been able to glean, my car was produced in August of 1973 at the end of the 73 production run, so, could it be possible that BMW started installing the emblem in the 74 spot on the very last 73 model year cars and started to use the later licence plate holder?  The rear panel does not appear to have been changed in its lifetime and all looks factory.  On the inside of the trunk, I cannot see any holes or witness marks where the 73 emblems should have been nor holes for the directly mounted lamps.  Anyone out there with a 73 configured like mine?  Or was mine molested at some point?

00F0F_jJ9EnpdP7Ty_1200x900.jpg

30074685_10210235681442351_943040445_o (1).jpg

c12_0612_02z+1972_bmw_2002_tii+badge.jpg

post-36995-0-08853100-1426269614_thumb.jpg

1973 2002 tii Turkisblau

1976 2002 Polaris

Hi Alex, Thanks for the response and yes, my numbers are close.  So does this mean that the orientation of my emblems and lamps are correct?  Just what to make sure, Thanks Allan

1973 2002 tii Turkisblau

1976 2002 Polaris

10 hours ago, Rastadog said:

Is your vin 27645xx? Love turkis. My late 73, July 73, is like the examples above....

Uh...

Alex, there were three different cars shown above: the first with the tii emblem in the square taillight location and two more with the tii emblem in the typical “round taillight location”. You said “examples” plural, so I’m guessing your tii emblem is in the location shown in the second and third examples. Yes? And does your July 73 tii have a roundel on the trunk lid?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, Gearbox said:

Hi Alex, Thanks for the response and yes, my numbers are close.  So does this mean that the orientation of my emblems and lamps are correct?  Just what to make sure, Thanks Allan

Allan,

August is unusual for a BMW manufacturing date — August was generally the holiday and re-tooling month — although not unheard of. It’s especially confusing for August 1973, however, as square taillight production was starting precisely then. My records show VIN 2764501 as being manufactured July 16, 1973. And VIN 2764521 is the last U.S.-spec round taillight tii. I’d guess that 2764521 was manufactured around July 16th: the factory could produce approximately 50 tii’s in a day.

Have you verified the manufacturing date of your car with BMW Archives?  It simply requires an email with your VIN, requesting Archives’ data, to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

Although your car is gorgeous, from the perspective of the facts I have now, I would say your car was manufactured no later than mid-July 1973 and, over the last 45 years, had some sort of damage that led to the replacement of the trunk lid and the re-working or replacement of the rear body panel.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

With the exception of the very early 1600, the emblem on the round tail cars was in the position shown in your pics of the orange and red car.  I’m guessing your car was restored for whatever reason (rust or accident repair) and the body shop or owner at the time put the emblems in the incorrect place, either because they wanted them there or they didn’t know where they went originally.  I also don’t think turkis was a color available in 1973 but I could be wrong.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

....I also don’t think turkis was a color available in 1973 but I could be wrong.

Turkis was available in 1973.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, I was referring to the pictures above. Mine is like all US 73 2002’s I’ve seen. Many years ago I saw 4503 at 02 Fest East. It also had the standard badge placement. P.O.? Alex

826B995C-4C0E-4D97-A17D-AAF7EF9637CF.jpeg

• Like 1

Rastadog ( Alex) 73 Tii, 2018 VW GTI with 3 pedals.

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Allan,

August is unusual for a BMW manufacturing date — August was generally the holiday and re-tooling month — although not unheard of. It’s especially confusing for August 1973, however, as square taillight production was starting precisely then. My records show VIN 2764501 as being manufactured July 16, 1973. And VIN 2764521 is the last U.S.-spec round taillight tii. I’d guess that 2764521 was manufactured around July 16th: the factory could produce approximately 50 tii’s in a day.

Have you verified the manufacturing date of your car with BMW Archives?  It simply requires an email with your VIN, requesting Archives’ data, to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

Although your car is gorgeous, from the perspective of the facts I have now. I would say your car was manufactured no later than mid-July 1973 and, over the last 45 years, had some sort of damage that led to the replacement of the trunk lid and the re-working or replacement of the rear body panel.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you all for the definitive answers I was looking for, and Steve for the concise research.  So, from the information provided, I have to assume the rear panel was replaced at some point along with the trunk (makes sense for a rear end collision) and the emblems relocated.  Although I am pretty good in spotting accident replaced panels, I have to say, this job was flawless down to the factory spot welds.  So, in order to return my car to its original configuration, I have to get the rear panel Roundel (still available TG) and relocate the 2002tii emblem.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the only difference in the trunk lid is the emblem, so if I remove that and weld up the holes, I should be good. yes?  And also the rear license plate bracket with lamps attached.  I assume this is not correct and the lamps are mounted directly to the body, yes?  Anybody have any pictures of just the original 73 license plate bracket, if any, with the placement of the lamps on the body without the plate?  Thank you all again, Allan  

30121907_10210236051131593_252058369_o.jpg

1973 2002 tii Turkisblau

1976 2002 Polaris