• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The '74 TIi has arrived - now the "fun" starts

tdskip

Found some rust that I missed, but everything else except the passenger side rear fender lip (that I already knew about) seems solid...

Pretty sure those fuses are passed it...

Given that it came from Nevada I'm going to assume that all the vacuum lines are dry rotted...

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

Edited by tdskip
  • Like 3

I too have a 74 Tii. I've been fighting it lately as I learn. It is also Polaris but has a highly unique (and confirmed!) Gobi Tan interior.

Wish you the best with your new baby.

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 minute ago, NYNick said:

I too have a 74 Tii. I've been fighting it lately as I learn. It is also Polaris but has a highly unique (and confirmed!) Gobi Tan interior.

Wish you the best with your new baby.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the note. What a great color combination! 

Hope you battles go well. Will look for your threads.

1 hour ago, tdskip said:

My first highly technical endeavor, and yes, I know this is not the immediate priority at this point.

Yes, you should be pulling the valve cover to see if you have something simple like a broken rocker that is preventing your motor from spinning 360 degrees.  The roof of my Mintgrun car looked like yours, my paint shop took care of the rust.

7 minutes ago, NYNick said:

It is also Polaris

I believe that this car is Fjord.

Have fun...

Mark92131

IMG_1170.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Electrical system came up, some loose connections but lights and indicators and fuel pump function with a good battery. Didn't let the fuel pump run for more than a couple seconds because it is most likely pushing old and nasty fuel through the system.

Thanks Mark, got the cover off. Nothing is jumping out (except the naked on funk) at me but I have newbie eyes.

Happy to say the Naval Jelly has already removed most of that surface rust on the roof.

Thanks for the note!

4 minutes ago, tdskip said:

Thanks Mark, got the cover off. Nothing is jumping out (except the naked on funk) at me but I have newbie eyes.

No worries, I was posting while you were posting.  Are you going to pull the head next?  Maybe broken or bent valve?  The plugs look like it was running rich or oil getting passed the rings.  We all love a mystery, keep us posted.

Mark

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

46 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

No worries, I was posting while you were posting.  Are you going to pull the head next?  Maybe broken or bent valve?  The plugs look like it was running rich or oil getting passed the rings.  We all love a mystery, keep us posted.

Mark

Hi Mark. I agree those plugs looks off. To my else they look more oily than rich, what do you think?

Do you guys think I am correct in seeing the amount of baked on oil / sludge on the head as an issue?

Re: the sludge - any idea how long the car has been sitting? Or what month it last ran, even?  If it died in the dead of winter, that might cause the oil/sludge build up. I've seen running tai's with worse. What's the gas tank smell like?

18 minutes ago, tdskip said:

Do you guys think I am correct in seeing the amount of baked on oil / sludge on the head as an issue?

It speaks to neglected oil changes which may be symptomatic of other deferred/neglected maintenance.  My 69's head is much cleaner than that after 224k miles and never having been apart.  

If you're not gonna do any engine dismantling, I'd advise getting the engine good and warmed up once you have it running, then drain and change both and filter, then repeat after 1000 or so miles.  Oil is a lot cheaper than engines!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

17 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Re: the sludge - any idea how long the car has been sitting? Or what month it last ran, even?  If it died in the dead of winter, that might cause the oil/sludge build up. I've seen running tai's with worse. What's the gas tank smell like?

Hi, thanks for the note. It's likely been years, I don't have much history on her. Fuel is spoiled but don't think it is syrup yet. Don't know if she has a drain plug, will need to check.

22 minutes ago, mike said:

It speaks to neglected oil changes which may be symptomatic of other deferred/neglected maintenance.  My 69's head is much cleaner than that after 224k miles and never having been apart.  

If you're not gonna do any engine dismantling, I'd advise getting the engine good and warmed up once you have it running, then drain and change both and filter, then repeat after 1000 or so miles.  Oil is a lot cheaper than engines!

mike

Indeed - still thinking it is likely the head is coming off anyway but will get fresh oil in there for sure.