Stuart

Electrical Issue

8 posts / 406 viewsLast Reply

She was starting just fine until the other day.  Cranked slowly then nothing.  Fired right up on jumper cables.  Drove for a while then radio died, the idle fell to below 300 and it died at the a stop light.  Jumped it again and it fired right up and ran 3 miles home but it got real rough just before home and the radio died again.  Battery connections are clean and firm, alternator looks almost brand new.  A multi meter on the battery with the engine off reads 11.8.  When the car is jump started it first reads 11.5 then consistently falls.  It was down to 8 when I turned the engine off. 

Sounds like the alternator is not charging the system but it looks brand new.  What else should I check? 

Stuart 

VR is suspect. But when mine went bonkers, it was overpowering things up to 17-19..

I'd also refresh ground straps and power cables on the alternator to be sure. Then check power output AT the alternator

(edited)

Don't assume you have a good alternator just because it looks new-I have had rebuilt ones that were junk right out of the box (on other cars but same thing applies here).

Edited by tdskip

Certainly sounds like the alternator, I would disagree with the VR being the problem it is meant to regulate how much volatage your battery gets while charging (typically around 13.5-14.5 volts) if it exceeds this range your VR is no good if its less as in your case alternator is usually the culprit depending on how old your battery is

A simple test you could do is check your charging voltage while the car is running around 2-2500 rpms should be in the neighborhood of 13.5-14.5

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like the Alternator to me Stuart

If you want piece of mind for the voltage regulator you can start by switching those first with one of your cars since id say its a little easier than the alternator

Hope all is well

Mo

Good news, you don't have a check engine light. You only have alt, vr  and battery. Pretty basic, check ground 

How is your charging indicator light? The light should go on when you put the ignition on. If it doesn't there's a problem in the alternator wake up (magnetizing) circuit. The issue may be in the alternator but it may be elsewhere too, for example burned indicator light would do that. If the light works and stays on all the time it's probably the alternator itself.