Hodgepodge

Rear Axle crown bolt removal - Somebody used loctite????

43 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm trying to take the backer plate and stub/side axle out of the rear subframe but I think the PO or somebody migt have used loctite because I can't get the crown nut to budge.  It looks as though the crown nut is stuck to the wheel flange with yellow loctite.  The trailing arm is off so I'm using a couple of CV-joint bolts to torque against and I don't want to screw up that shaft.  This should have been pretty easy....   Damn thing....guy re-used the cotter pin but applied loctite!  It's always something!   

Here's an image of th eside I haven't started working on yet.  Lovely, huh?  

SCH_6111.thumb.JPG.d1bfa1a802c40073ebd7b613d4c1c876.JPG

Any ideas?   

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by Hodgepodge

Just a word....  I would torch it, but with all that grease, I don't want to set off a smoke detector or start an actual fire.   I'm going to try a heat gun.  Such a large bolt, though, not sure that will work.  

If you're talking about the castellated nut on the wheel hub, which is the only place I remember a cotter pin, that baby is supposed to be torqued to 290+ foot pounds. There are all sorts of threads on getting that off and then pulling the hub. Not easy. Not sure you should've removed the subframe before attacking those. Actually, I was reading one recently where the guy had the car ON THE GROUND and was still turning the tire as he tried to remove that nut.

Come to think of it, hub bearings were on your list so I'm guessing that''s what you're asking. No Loctite, just brute force. Get creative and be strong. Don't use the CV bolts they'll never hold up against 300 foot pounds....maybe secure the trailing arm somehow.

Edited by NYNick

Well...the heat gun didn't work.  Switched to using a bar across the actual lugs for leverage.  And my 20 year old craftsman stepdown didn't fare well.....

SCH_6115.thumb.JPG.12cbc8b88d63f6e67b25aa4fa515fa2d.JPG

Edited by Hodgepodge

300 foot pounds.

As Richard Dreyfus said in Jaws: "You're gonna need a bigger boat"

• Like 1

290 pounds?   That is crazy!    I'm guessing the previous owner/mechanic could not get there, hence the Loctite.   I'll keep working on it.   

290 foot pounds is spec. Don't doubt it. Get a monster breaker bar.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. Archimedes

Edited by NYNick

You should've loosen castellated nuts before removing rear sub-frame. Would've been lot easier, but there is always someone out there done it similar way and found way to....

http://www.cyclopticgaze.com/2002/24rear_teardown.html

BTW, that is not Loctitie. It is dab of paint at assembly saying it is done and it is part of quality check... 

• Like 1

Take the trailing arm off of sub-frame and take it to a shop and let them to take it off with impact gun...

Just now, Buckeye said:

Take the trailing arm off of sub-frame and take it to a shop and let them to take it off with impact gun...

...if so, have them remove the hubs as well....might as well.

Buckeye, the dab of paint idea makes sense.  ...except for the re-used cotter pin.  I noticed only one looks re-used....    So the PO TRIED To repack the bearings but could not get the first castle nut off and gave up.   Seriously...290/300 pounds!   I've done wheel bearings on a few other cars and don't remember anything that high. Always learning....    

Hey, thank you VERY MUCH for the link!   That is exactly what I needed.  

Now all I have to do is fix my big compressor so I can use decent air tools again.  And break out the torch... Oh..and I need a 1/2 inch 24mm socket.    

Scott

Buckeye, I might do that.  Trailing arms are off.  

Back when I had a VW type 2  Westfalia pop top camper bus, I broke two different 1/2 inch Craftsman socket wrenches w/ a 6 foot cheater bar removing the rear castellated nuts. At least back then you could drive to Sears and get another no questions asked. Being off the car at this point I would take it somewhere, don't really want to put it back on.......

re Sears, yes, still can get freebie exchange