• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii engine in base 2002

glyif

hello all,

I am planning to rebuild the engine in my 2002 that i just got. This will be my first engine rebuild so I'm not confident that the engine will be functional after i work on it hehe :). I'm thinking about buying a 1974 tii engine from someone locally to swap out with the current m10. Do i need to do anything special for the switch? I know stock the tii uses the kugelfischer fuel injection instead of the carbs. (which is better)

You would need the fuel tank,electric pump/accumulator assembly, all the throttle linkage the brake booster and the air cleaner would be nice, I may have forgotten a few of the smaller parts. Properly set up the Tii is very smooth and really sweet to drive but it's a real handful to tune for if you don't know the system, a carb'ed car is much easier to work on and modify especially if your just getting stated.   

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Per Son of Marty's post above, it's a lotta work--and parts you probably don't have--to swap a functioning tii engine into a carbureted car.  

Many tutorials on the FAQ about rebuilding an M10 motor, and you can have your machine shop do as much of the reassembly as you wish, thus exchanging saved time for (your) money.  

Were it mine I'd plunge ahead with rebuilding your engine, or find a temporary replacement carbureted engine.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Per Son of Marty's post above, it's a lotta work--and parts you probably don't have--to swap a functioning tii engine into a carbureted car.  

Many tutorials on the FAQ about rebuilding an M10 motor, and you can have your machine shop do as much of the reassembly as you wish, thus exchanging saved time for (your) money.  

Were it mine I'd plunge ahead with rebuilding your engine, or find a temporary replacement carbureted engine.

mike
I see. So swapping a 2002 m10 with another one is much more doable

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am not sure if I understand the question, but if you want to use the tii engine while you rebuild yours, the manifold and carb bolt on and run fun. My base 02 has a tii block in it. Might have to remove a few bits ( k pump, etc), but easier than adding injection. 

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

Back up 2 steps.

What's included with the 'tii' engine?

If it's really got all the tii parts still on it, you're a fuel pump away from converting.

If it's just a long block, bolt your carb (s) onto it and go.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I did this to subvert the CA SMOG laws when I restored my car for the second time.

The wiring is different, the cold start system is different, the fuel lines,the fuel pump bracket system are different as well as what the others have said.

It is a tedious task, but it can be done.

The question is what do you want in the end, a faux Tii or a numbers matching 2002? It will cost quite a bit to acquire all those parts, and lot of your labor for "just an engine swap".

GoGo Garnet has a viable solution.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Einspritz said:

It will cost quite a bit to acquire all those parts, and lot of your labor for "just an engine swap".

True, there are a lot more small bits required to make it run down the road,here's a few:

• Tii Brake booster to clear the intake
  • Rear electric fuel pump
  • Firewall throttle Bracket
  • Throttle Linkage
  • Fuel Return line + Plumbing
  • Air Cleaner

The big challenge is locating a Booster

IMG_0305.thumb.JPG.3f80d7a3bb75ba715ba75c9fae981436.JPG

• Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Goodness. 

Other than the booster, that all seems pretty easy from

the couch I'm sitting on. 

t

armchair engine swapper with m54b30

delusions of grandeur

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In your shoes, my order of preference would be:

• Put in an S14 (+ bonkers performance, clear track record of other successful transplants) (- lots of work, $, is more of a maintenance commitment going forward)
  • Build your own bonkers carbed M10 (+ get to do it yourself, clear track record, hooligan car) (- maybe not so streetable, CARB?)
  • Build your own stock(ish) carbed M10 (+ get to do it yourself, clear track record)(- a lot of work for stock performance)
  • tii transplant (+ excellent smooth stock performance)(- no value bump, as it will never be a "real" tii, very tough to "hot rod")

There are may others that have done at least one of these that will offer more informed opinions, but that's what I'd do.

• Like 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

On 3/24/2018 at 8:07 PM, GoGo Garnet said:

I am not sure if I understand the question, but if you want to use the tii engine while you rebuild yours, the manifold and carb bolt on and run fun. My base 02 has a tii block in it. Might have to remove a few bits ( k pump, etc), but easier than adding injection. 

I feel like it's a tad more complicated than that, will you not need to swap your lower timing cover/front pulley/oil filter mount as well?

I too have a tii block (no different than a standard block) but I had to swap all of the above from my old motor to work. You've practically got the thing apart at that point, might as well build the whole shebang. 

Just to clarify one point about the tii booster; the air cleaner will fit with the 02 booster. Don’t forget the brackets for the air cleaner and the cold start wiring. I used the metal fuel return for my high pressure intake line. 

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I also ran a metal line back to the trunk for the hp fuel line. I had a Tii tank and was able to fit a 318i fuel pump and sending unit up . It fit right in. Just had to adapt the electrical a bit. 

You don’t have to run a stock air cleaner, K&N has some options. I am just getting around to putting in a stock air cleaner. I am fabricating the bracket the mount to the fender well. I did the swap in a 69. You might think about doing a 5 speed transmission conversion while your at it. Then a LSD, box the rear trailing arms, and in and on and on..

BTW Macmillan importing may have some of the tii linkage brackets. Try if you can to get them out of the car the motor came out of. Even the air cleaner brackets if the car is available to scavenge from. 

Good luck!

7FF5C42E-9596-4028-9C38-86E2533775C8.jpeg

John B

Sacramento Ca

69 2002 (tii)