tdskip

Sourcing a good (emphasis good) 245 for the 5 speed conversion

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Good morning, seeing that my engine needs to come out anyway ('74 TII threads) now would seem to be the time to consider the 5 speed conversion.

It all looks pretty straight forward if you use a 245, and I've found a nice kit option from Aardvarc Racing already. I've emailed them about availability of a rebuilt 245 but wanted to ask for ideas on sourcing a good/healthy gearbox.

I found some leads via Craigslist etc but they are all high mileage boxes with iffy descriptions. Is there a go-to source you all could help connect me to?

Thanks!

I believe it was Rob Seigel the hack mechanic who told me that he figured 4 out of 5 Junkyard transmissions would be good and the fifth trash

Results sorted by GRADE (Click on heading to re-sort)

Distances are in miles approximate from "30554" postal code.
Click back to modify your previous choice.
Most prices do not include extended warranties or shipping.

1983 BMW 320i
Transmission

Click Here to see All Interchange Choices
Click Here to see Non-Interchange Choices

Year
Part
ModelDescriptionMilesPart
GradeStock#US
PriceDealer InfoDist
mile

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320iM.T-TESTED GOOD-215K133,515

--km--

215,000A000266$CallBimmer Parts Can-BC(Duncan) Request_Quote 1-888-309-8899 / 1-250-748-0832 Request_Insurance_Quote2261

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i1,8L,5SPEED,CKD,4,09,04, WHITE207,000C204083$350Suffolk Used Auto Parts USA-VA(Suffolk) Request_Quote 1-800-468-5558 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320iBADLOCATION 5-SPD UPULL, WHITE-GRAY  11696$695ARichner Auto Parts USA-PA(Milesburg) Request_Quote 814-355-3851 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i2 PIECE (BELLHOUSING DOES NOT UBBOLT)USED  320BMW$400A-Car Auto Wrecking, Inc. USA-CA(Montclair) Request_Quote 909-620-8198 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i   502B$350Rigsbee Auto Parts USA-NC(Knightdale) Request_Quote 1-919-266-3333 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320iW/WARRANTY***INS. QUALITY PART READY TO SHIP***  S9466$320Shakti Auto Parts USA-GA(Atlanta) Request_Quote 404-635-0333 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i2DR,RWD,BLK,5-82,1.8,FLR-MT  12367$CallNuwer Auto Parts USA-NY(Holland) E-mail 1-716-537-2800633

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i   21689$CallPhelps Auto Wreckers USA-CA(San-Leandro) Request_Quote 1-510-569-4845 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i90 DAY WARRANTY-250.0250,000 BD0765$150First Choice Auto Salvage and Recycling, LLC USA-PA(Coopersberg) Request_Quote 610-346-6678 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission Assembly
BMW 320i5SPD GETRAG 240.0 0132.90 225 1.1 1  97927$CallTrade Auto Wreckers USA-NY(Medford) Request_Quote 631-654-5172 / 631-654-5190 Request_Insurance_Quote

Year
Part
ModelDescriptionMilesPart
GradeStock#US
PriceDealer Info

I believe all of the good used 245 boxes will be high mileage, since they stopped making these in ‘82 or ‘83....I know you can get a functional used box from the usual places. The only way to be sure the box has not been neglected (ran dry or low on oil), abused, or damaged some other way is to have it inspected. These boxes are getting more and more rare. Plus in higher and higher demand, as the some of the parts (bearings and gears) are getting very expensive to replace. I wish I knew of a source or some shop that has hoarded these and I could pick through them and find a “good used” 245 box. Every transmission I have purchased, I inspected prior to passing money, ($900) or it is such a good price don’t care of condition as it would be rebuilt. I hope you find that good box for the right price.
As always my humbling $.02 worth.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my current 245 from Dave at Aardvarc a number of years ago and it's still going strong. It leaks a little (they all do) but it had the 2nd gear synchro replaced and from what I remember, Dave fashioned an adapter so he could spin the shaft and run the trans through all the gears to verify that everything was functioning properly (no noises). 

Nope.

The only sure way is to buy a running 320, drive it a bunch to the beach to make sure the transmission's not shot,

and then have at it.

t

I lucked out and bought a box from Le Tran about 5 years ago before prices spiked. It was in his personal car.  Stashed it until January of this year and installed.  The problem is that there USED to be lots of e21 5 speeds out there. They were not too desirable. Most people wanted the e30 or the 2002. So the e21 was kind of discarded. So people sold running ones for about a grand or 2.  Most got parted out. Now they are hard to find and starting to become cool because they are rare. I see many more 02s than I see e21s now.  So a small supply and people are more reluctant to discard them or scrap them = Less supply of e21 5 speeds. 

Good morning and thanks for the education. I does seem like prices on these have moved, and look like E21s have also popped in value.

I suppose I need to roll the dice to some extent.

In case I dive in and am unlucky, what does a 245 rebuild roughly cost?

Bump on rebuild cost estimate...

Help a newbie out (even more than the silly stupendous amount of help you all have already offered that is...)

:-)

Edited by tdskip

47 minutes ago, tdskip said:

Maybe the question to ask is what are the typical failures, and what is entailed (cost/work) in fixing them. 

I think a full rebuild is $$$, so if you got a full-on dud, you're more likely to source another used one.  But, for example, if the typical failures are fixable without a full rebuild, the work/cost entailed in fixing these typical failures would be helpful for to know.

There are quite a few threads on fixing these 5spds, so maybe the answer can be found via the search function if someone doesn't chime in sooner.

Good morning, thank you for the response.  I will do more searching but are bearings and sychros etc. replaceable without doing a full on rebuild?

1 hour ago, tdskip said:

So long as you recognize you're asking for is sight-unseen guessing...

I have these done (rebuilds), and the only cost I know going in is the cost to disassemble the box, and the cost to put it back together if the shop doesn't call back and say, "This one is junk - not rebuildable." .. which happens more often than I like. Parts can input bearings, split bearings, syncros, seal/gasket kits. And it gets annoying-costly if output (or input) shaft is grooved, or if housing under shift selector rod has been busted.

That all said, here's a data point: I had a customer bring in a used box they spent about $900 for, and then another $1,000 in parts and labor to rebuild and make it right. -KB

5 hours ago, tdskip said:

Good morning, thank you for the response.  I will do more searching but are bearings and sychros etc. replaceable without doing a full on rebuild?

The front bearing can be changed from within the bell housing, and I think the rear bearing can be changed from outside the transmission, as well.  There are a number of seals (ft, rear, selector shaft) that can be replaced without cracking the case, too.  Synchros, of course, are a different story. 

I found one of the threads I had in mind when I wrote my prior post and I've linked to it - specifically the reply on bench testing, as that's probably the most valuable for knowing if your transmission is "good." 

Edited by g_force

Thanks for the reply, and yes I recognize that any specific cost would be based on what a specific gearbox needs. That said, it's helpful to know or range of what a full rebuild may cost if only to educate myself on what may lay ahead.

For example, my 928 gearbox turns out to have been thoroughly abused before I got the car running, and the price to rebuild it was eye watering  but I knew what it may cost and had budgeted accordingly. Turns out I got lucky and the shop had a good core that simply needed to be serviced.

Thanks for the link and the additional information, it's been fun getting educated on these cars with all of your help. 

the rear bearing can not be changed from outside the transmission

in my personal experience.  The whole front case comes off first, and shift rods go everywhere.

And the bearings that wear out first are on the countershaft anyways...

t