Booger32

Tii block stamp pad

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys, I'm not new to older BMW's but I'm brand new to the 2002's.

I have wanted one for years and have the chance to buy a 74 Tii.

i have a question about the engine block. The stamp pad above the starter does not show the chassis VIN. The two X's or +'s are there, one at each end of stamp pad , but nothing else in between.

I think it's a factory replacement block.

What do you think?

next question: does it hurt the value?

thanks, Steve 

Chattanooga 

Yeah that's a factory rebuild block it will probably make some difference in the final price but not all that much  especially with a factory rebuild as opposed to just some random Tii motor with a unknown history, of course all the above is just my opinion and is guaranteed to be worth what you payed for it:lol:  

Usually factory rebuilt motors have a series of letters and numbers--check the archives; one of our members posted a very complete explanation of just what those letters and number mean.

mike

The stamp pad still has 'straight line' broach marks and not 'circular' marks like they were ground off .

This  car is rougher than a night in jail and I was hoping that it had the original motor... because that would be the only thing it really had going for it.

How can I research the VIN to find out anything about it?

Thanks, Steve 

Thank Mike, 

I search the archives again. 

Steve

Look here on the rear of your block; the right two numbers are the build month and year; I can't remember what the others are.

Cheers!

P4104484.JPG

almost forgot, here on the exhaust side, but I also don't know what they designate.

there is also something stamped on the usual VIN place, but don't have a picture and the block is out or service.

P4104491.JPG

n/t (duplicate post)

Edited by Conserv

If it’s a U.S.-spec 1974 tii, the VIN will be 2780001 through 2782927, with manufacturing dates from November 1973 through December 1974.  Send an email to BMW Archives with the VIN and request their data (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com).  They’ll provide the specific manufacturing date and confirmation of the factory exterior color.

In the meantime, the VIN decoder of the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia will provide accurate, yet non-specific information.

https://www.bmwclasicos.com/servicios.php#Como

As to factory-rebuilt engines, see Technical Reference Information (TRI) bulletin below.  On Einspritz’s example above, referencing the TRI, “22Ti” indicates an E12-head tii engine (I don’t know why the “i” is missing on Einspritz’s engine), “A” indicates a factory exchange engine, and, as Einspritz pointed out, “5 80” indicates the engine was remanufactured in May 1980.  If the “8591” is part of the remanufacturing re-stamping — I’m not certain it is — it would be the 4-digit serial number, representing the 8,591st engine remanufactured in May 1980.

The remanufacturing stamping often appears on the original VIN boss, rather than on the back ledge of the block, as on Einspritz’s example.  But both are common and valid locations for the factory-remanufactured stampings.

Other blocks without VIN stampings, or the stampings described in the TRI, could have been sold as replacement short blocks or as remanufactured engines by non-BMW sources.

Regards,

Steve

pdf;charset=UTF-8&X-Amz-Signature=4b1d2f

Edited by Conserv

Perhaps the reason there is no "i" designation is because it is a European Turbo, which also uses a 121T head. This is a long block replacement as the then owner chose to have a long block rather than refurbish the original block due to "cylinder leakage". I have the original correspondence between the owner and the garage; IIRC it was about 860 GBP to rebuild and less for the long block, so he chose the latter.

There is a stamping on the usual boss, I just can't find the picture, and the block is not in my shop. I recall that the stamping is not the "usual", but I think the dealer did stamp the VIN there, but it doesn't look "factory".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

Perhaps the reason there is no "i" designation is because it is a European Turbo, which also uses a 121T head. This is a long block replacement as the then owner chose to have a long block rather than refurbish the original block due to "cylinder leakage". I have the original correspondence between the owner and the garage; IIRC it was about 860 GBP to rebuild and less for the long block, so he chose the latter.

There is a stamping on the usual boss, I just can't find the picture, and the block is not in my shop. I recall that the stamping is not the "usual", but I think the dealer did stamp the VIN there, but it doesn't look "factory".

Or...since this is a turbo block — obviously the compression ratio is different from the tii engines — could a “T” standing alone signify “turbo”? I have no real idea: just throwing it out there!  😙

(Sorry I mis-entered your forum name, confusing it with another member’s.  I’ve corrected it.)

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks so much for the pics and info. I'm learning.

Steve

Are the numbers on the back of the block visible with the engine in the car? I've tried to find them this morning with a mirror but I must be missing them.

thanks

I went into my archives on this car and looked up the invoices. There is just the estimate to rebuild the engine and the estimate for the factory exchange engine (with 6000 mile warranty!). The invoice is not detailed as is done today, basically "replaced engine", so no serial numbers etc.

There is / was a BMW PN: 11-00-1-263-393 WITH a designation of "22T A".

Yes, the Turbo long block had different pistons of 6.9:1, different head, Sodium filled exhaust valves, & head gasket. The rest was standard Tii fare, which in a way is a testament to the strength of the Tii engine.

So there you go.

• Like 1