Sign in to follow this  
NYNick

E Brake Cables

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well now I've done it. I was celebrating the success of installing the new rear brakes and finally got to adjusting the E Brake as my last step. One side would tighten but the other side wouldn't. Zero movement of the cable inside the driver's side brake. As is my want I thought maybe if I got the E Brake handle off I could squirt some PB in the sleeves to help free up the cable that's frozen, of course without checking FAQ and discovering what a pain it is to get the E Brake handle back on. Big mistake.

But I've searched and seem to have found the thread to do this and will tackle that tomorrow. Not looking forward to that. Why do I do these things? : (

Anyway, before I do, is there a way to try to get that cable free or should I just live with one side working? 

Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Nick

Were you able to pull on the cable when you replaced your rear brakes?  I would start there.  Remove the adjusting nuts from inside (need to do that anyway to reassemble the e-brake handle) and pull from the shoe side to see if it is bound up.  If the cable(s) are still not sliding easily, then I would renew them.  I would not recommend using only one side of the E-brake.  I know I wouldn't let that out of a shop that way.

Matt.

Buy a case of German Beer, this is the Ultimate Berlin Bitch. New cables are needed and they are the easy part. The install of the pivot bolt is ridiculous, took me two days to figure out. It involved a backing bolt, grease, cursing in German and luck in the end. The release button mechanism is the BB in the install. Don't give up,  just think in German😉

I did a column on a couple of tricks I learned the hard way about replacing the e-brake cable:  specifically removing a stuck cable and how to reassemble the e-brake handle without growing another hand; PM me and I'll send you a copy.

cheers

mike

Thanks all. My electrical engineer/car guy son showed up last night and we tackled the problem areas this morning. First thing I did was take off the driver's side drum brakes and made sure the E cable was working back and forth easily. I sprayed a little PB in there and worked it until we were satisfied it was free.

Reassembled the brakes (I'm becoming almost an expert with the "B" spring) and then we tackled the E brake handle/lever using this thread as a help:

For whatever reason, by my son looking up and into the underside of the lever from in front of it, he could see the little piece B that needed to be engaged by the button and then got the toothed gear aligned well enough for me to push in the retaining bolt and then reattach the C clip. Actually took us like 10 minutes. I was shocked.

The bigger problem was the cable was still getting hung up and not returning. After disassembling the brakes once again to make sure it was working ok , I ended up crimping the end of the top spreader spring so it couldn't impeded the E brake arm inside the brakes, made sure the E Brake cable wasn't hitting the W spring as it went back and forth and secured the E brake cable on the trailing arm so it couldn't possible move.

Bingo bango bongo, two hours later another job done. What a pain some of this stuff is.