joebarthlow

Anyone tow a 2002 with an X5 or X3?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Anyone here own an X5 or X3? 

I understand the towing capacity of the X5 is 4500 lbs, X3 is 3500.

I'm guessing with an aluminum trailer I might be getting close to max capacity with an X3. thoughts?

meh. I'd do it as long as you aren't climbing the rockies, climbing major inclines, or driving too far. 

• Like 1

Towed with a Mitsubish Pajero for years.  Rated #2000 in the US.  #6000 in Europe.  Trailer brakes, and no- one even got very scared.

X5 capacity is more with the V8- a friend's towed an enclosed trailer with a Pro3 car (#5000 or so) for a decade.

t

• Like 1

From what I know the towing capacity of the X5 (35d since thats what I'm looking at) is like 6000 lbs with the factory hitch. The Curt hitch is rated to 7700 and 600 lb tung weight. That's the same as my old (and the new one I can buy) TDi Touareg. The TD6 Range Rover Sport is also at 7700 and 600 (actually a hair more). Incidentally my 2011 328 Xdrive 6 sp manual is rated for 1600, 3600 with trailer brakes. I'm on the fence about putting an Execuhitch on my e91 and getting the trailer module to make brakes work. However I know that would be at the limit with my 2002 on a steel trailer.

John

IMG_5925.jpg

Edited by Harv
  • Thanks 1

Here's a useless fact, towing capacity is set not by engineers with slide rules and real data but by the marketing department, if Ford raises there f150 1500# the next year Chevy and Dodge will do the same but the trucks remain the same????? but you are legally bound by what they say if your a pound over you are towing illegally and if your 100# over your insurance company will cry negligence and run from your claim like you have Ebola. in 2012-2013 SAE set towing capacity standards for the auto industry that involved actually towing the stated weight up a set grade on a 100' day and brake and standing start tests but last I checked no one has adopted the standards yet.

• Thanks 1

I can definitely speak to this. I have an '05 X5 with the 3.0 motor and I have been towing with it for years. I have an aluminum Trailex trailer, however, which is relatively light. I've towed my e30 racecar, the 02, and my Alfa spider many thousands of miles and the X5 does surprisingly well. FWIW I do have the factory hitch installed. My Trailex has electric brakes which I control with a Tekonsha Prodigy. 

• Thanks 1