tdskip

Request for a premeptive dope slap on the inbound TII

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

From the other threads this is the one where the engine won't spin past 270 degrees. Assuming it all has to come apart to find out what is going on it looks likely that an engine rebuild is likely.

That said, given that this is a real TII I'd be somewhat dim to yank the engine and throw something else in under the following logic;

- healthy TIIs are plenty fun

- solid TII aren't falling off trees anymore and it will be worth more as an intact / matching car

- if I decide to tweak the engine during the rebuild I can get as much power as an engine swap anyway

- engine swap costs will likely match or exceed a rebuild of the original engine anyway

- any money saved from not hauling off on an engine swap can be used to remove (and save) the original gearbox and install a 245

- I need another engine swap project like another hole in my head

Am I thinking about this the right way? I am a very new newbie still but would like to think I am paying attention...

Thanks!

Won't spin past 270 degrees, as in, something is colliding with something else? (timing off, pistons to valve interference, binding elsewhere in the motor?)

5 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

Won't spin past 270 degrees, as in, something is colliding with something else? (timing off, pistons to valve interference, binding elsewhere in the motor?)

Good morning/afternoon.

Cause is unknown yet. Car is in route to me.

It’s your car and you can do whatever you want to it, no matter how friggin’ stupid it might be viewed by others!  😋

Yes, at this point in history, with tii values soaring, yanking out the original tii engine and installing “something else” sounds pretty stupid to me — admittedly, I’m someone who places great value on intact old cars.  If, however, you said “To hell with the value and rarity of tii’s: I need 300 horsepower in this thing!”, I would recommend that you choose a swap engine carefully, do as little harm as possible to your car’s body and chassis, and save the original engine complete.  There is a good chance a subsequent owner will especially value a tii with its original engine, even if it’s not currently installed.

One caveat if you rebuild the original engine:  tii engines, with original fuel injection, are not a great platform for substantial power increases!  The factory compression ratios, depending on market and year, ranged from 9.0 to 10.0.  And increases above that range will certainly require something special in the way of gas octane, which may or may not be convenient for you.  Also critically, the Kugelfischer pumps were really designed for the factory power outputs (generally 125-140 hp, depending on year, market, compression ratio, and measuring method).  Thus, hot cams are generally discouraged as a means to greater power, because the Kugelfischer cannot efficiently feed their needs.  So I would not recommend rebuilding the original engine and fuel injection thinking that you’re going to achieve 200 hp.  You can balance, lighten, port, polish, port match, etc., but most of those things are “nibbling around the edges” of any material power increase. A tii, on the other hand, is a very smooth and balanced car as designed and manufactured, and somehow “needs” a substantial power increase less than some of its peers.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

Thanks Gentlemen, original engine repair/rebuilt it will be.

Well, here's your conundrum:

>tiis are fun stock.

>tiis are appreciating, as Steve says.  They are most valuable when stock, or a few bolt-on mods away from stock.  Like lowering springs and bigger sway bars aren't going to negatively impact the value much, or even at all. 

>tiis can't really be modded in terms of the engine, that much.  Because the injection is made for the rest of the engine.  It's kind of like a carb that can't be changed.  Now, people have put a different cam in them, had the injector pump changed to accommodate, that sort of thing.  It is certainly possible.  But you don't see it often.  

So, conundrum is, if you want a hot rod motor, no one starts with a tii motor.

Scott

• Like 1

If you want to preserve all that a Tii represents then you will want to do everything possible in the pursuit of that. Unless the block is cracked or you are forced to take a different approach..... spend the cash to rebuild it. I think It will be well worth it in the end.

Hi Scott, thanks for the note.

I don't "need" this to be a hot rod as I think a healthy TII will be plenty fun. Always tempting, but think the right move is to respect it a get it healthy. With a lot of great coaching already I understand I need to think of the TII as a system of components that need to be well matched (more so than many cars).

I've (still) got a Gruppe A 272 Alpina Camshaft for a tii collecting dust that allegedly is not supposed to require modifying your KF injector system if you wanted to give it a shot on your rebuild. :)

15 minutes ago, 2002Scoob said:

I've (still) got a Gruppe A 272 Alpina Camshaft for a tii collecting dust that allegedly is not supposed to require modifying your KF injector system if you wanted to give it a shot on your rebuild. :)

And here we go.....

:D

• Like 1

While some might not agree, a 'tii" is a hot rod without doing anything to it. 

• Like 1

edit.  I like hotrodding 2002's.

Edited by AceAndrew

Match porting and slightly higher compression pistons won’t hurt anything and headers. Run premium fuel or higher. Balance, balance balance everything..
Just save all the old stuff.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1