mac

If you had an unobtainium/nla part, and sold it.......

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

what would your selling price be?

-factor in recent demand/prices of BMWs, patina, restoration, etc. etc.?

-be a hero and "give it away"?

-last known MSRP + ??% or half of last known MSRP "cause it's used."?

-whatever someone will offer?

What do you think?

Mac. 

For me it would depend on the part as well, if it’s an upgrade part (rare antenna, quick ratio steering box, etc) I would be ok asking more than if it was something someone might need to keep their car on the road. 

Your best bet may be an auction style sale and let the buyers decide. Otherwise, think of what you might pay for it and just sleep good thinking you didn't rip anyone off???  I don't know, I always end up selling stuff for 1/2 or less than I paid, lol..

Sell something???  That would disqualify my Professional Hoarder status... took a while to get my card, I don't want to go back the amateur tour.

:D

Open market = open market pricing

Private sale among friends is something completely different.  I'm certain there are lots of stories of good folks helping with other folk's restorations/projects.  I have been a recipient of many good gestures helping with hard-to-find parts with the 2000CS.  I try to pay it forward whenever I can.  "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over"

Ed

• Like 9

For most parts I look at recent sales of the same part.

But if it’s unobtainium then my price would be determined on, “how much money do I need in order to give this up without getting depressed.”

If no one bites, then you get to keep a cool part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Fun story from a friendly parts supplier who was offered an NOS close-ratio steering box.  He asked the seller what he wanted for the box.  The seller rattled off an unusually specific dollar amount.  When my friend pressed him on why it was such a specific amount, the seller bluntly stated that was how much it would cost for him to take his wife on a nice cruise.  

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

If a part is “unobtainium” but is now being manufactured....hmmm. That’s like a Quagmire or a Paradox... but supply and demand questions are difficult to predict especially for a narrow market place like vintage BMWs. Unless it’s a wear item that needs maintenance or replacement periodically... Just sayin’
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never give or have given anything away (well maybe some small stuff....)

And have sold (unfortunately) some really (really) rare stuff.

NOS Schnitzer head with manifolds.

Several sets of Bilstein/Alpina negative camber struts.

Alpina A4 fuel injection system including NOS Alpina 129.10 pump.

Alpina brake rotors (Front), those are really hard to come by and very expensive now if useable.

Alpina rear disc brake conversion, reiforced trailing arm, lowered spring perch, vented Alpina rotors and Porsche 914/6 calipers.

To name a few.

I basically decide what the price is and that is it.  I might negotiate some depending on the part and the price but generally not much.  I won't haggle with anyone on price.  The minute that starts to happen, its over.  None of what I have or have sold were things I needed to sell to put food on the table or pay my mortgage.  I regret selling most/all of those things above and shouldn't have with the benefit of hindsight.  Acquiring parts like those now is pretty much an underground thing, very rarely will you see them on an Ebay or similar unfortunately and if you do, the odds of getting sniped (especially if the stuff is in Germany/Europe) is pretty good.

I'd consider an auction, but after scanning e-bay yesterday, THAT IS NOT THE SITE TO USE.  It appears that 02 owners aren't using the site any more.  (some items have been listed for over a month.--no activity).

and, I'd prefer to "pass it on" to someone who really needs it for their own car "to get one step closer" to completing their goal/dream. (flippers and hoarders need not apply).

All suggestions taken under advisement.  Thanks everyone. 

Mac

• Like 2

what exactly are you planning on selling? May i have first right or refusal? 

For example, what's a good dogleg 235 trans worth? Between eBay, the guy in England with the gold-plated ones, and the various forum mutterings, I have no clue. None.