• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas smell in cabin fixed!

kaptanoglu

A couple of years ago, I though I fixed the gas smell issue when I discovered the fuel sending unit was not firmly affixed in the gas tank, and was leaving a Wiley Coyote-esqe trail of gas after I filled up.  After replacing the gaskets connecting the tank things were better, though I would still get a gassy smell when it was hot out (...and Houston being Houston, that comes up).

The other day, it was hot and I was out with my father in law (Sputter's original owner) and it was both hot out and raining, so the windows went up, and we were really getting gassed.  Not the fuel sender this time, and I mined the forum to figure out what to tighten.... all to no avail.

Today I took it in to Lewis, the owner of Munich Motorwerke, a small shop in Houston.  He sniffed around and focused on the area around the vapor recovery canister (plastic jug under the fuel shelf).  I had wanted to inspect the canister before, but had not cracked the code on how to get it out without a SawzAll.  He popped it out and we discovered that it had cuts on the top, suspiciously close to where the parcel shelf had been cut to fit new speakers by a (very) highly regarded and (very) expensive restoration shop.  One more thing on my list of gripes.

5ab2cbd6a195a_Vaporrecoverytank032118.thumb.jpg.a927fd29bbd293d1ffe0f04b897a7bbc.jpg

I fixed it with duct tape for now, and am looking for a replacement that is in good shape.  Anyone out there have one they'd like to sell?

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

Good grief....

Lemme look in the stash, I may have one.

Ping Terry...I bet he can provide one at the Spring02berfest this weekend.  :ph34r:

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I'd send a bill to your resto shop :)

Well, if I were you.... ;)

Hot glue may fix that. You might determine what sort of plastic it is and have a try.

Only fumes go thru it anyhoo.

See ya at Mid Am!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

27 minutes ago, zinz said:

Lemme look in the stash, I may have one.

Ping Terry...I bet he can provide one at the Spring02berfest this weekend.  :ph34r:

Thanks.  Ping me if you have one, and I will ping Terry as well.

23 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I'd send a bill to your resto shop :)

Well, if I were you.... ;)

In their defense, they have been good at reimbursing me for things that had to be fixed.  There have just been more of those than I would have guessed.

25 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Hot glue may fix that. You might determine what sort of plastic it is and have a try.

That will be Plan B if I can't find a good one.  Someone responded to my WTB, but it was a black jug, rather than the milk juggy one that I have now.  I assume the one I have is correct, correct?

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

24 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

It's held in place on the bracket with a little leaf spring-type thing.

I knew how it was held in, but always thought the spring had to be removed to pull out the tank.  After watching Lewis do it, it is a piece of cake (and I felt a few notches stupider after seeing how easy it is.

If Hal Boyles or someone wants to give me two of those little leaf spring-type thingies, I'll not say no!

:D

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

If so inclined, abandon the tank and tube to the front and install a "European" vent that was outlawed in the US.  A BMW part tube that runs from the fuel tank filler rubber elbow along the rear and exits thru a factory hole on the spare tire side in the trunk bottom.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 minutes ago, jimk said:

If so inclined, abandon the tank and tube to the front and install a "European" vent that was outlawed in the US.  A BMW part tube that runs from the fuel tank filler rubber elbow along the rear and exits thru a factory hole on the spare tire side in the trunk bottom.

This is what I did. No smell since

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

While Sputter is a Euro homage (bumpers, blinkers), I have been reluctant to pull that stuff off.  A nice swath of duct tape has solved the problem, and putting the correct part back in is my preferred path on this.

I appreciate the suggestion, though.

7 hours ago, JerryC said:

Harbor Freight will sell you a plastic welding kit, they have a few to choose from.

That hat sounds like a hot glue gun or a soldering iron. That might work if I can get it to look right. 

12 hours ago, jimk said:

That's what I did, along with ripping out all the line running back up to the front of the car through the cab.

Guess my car is worth less now, but it's simpler.  I like as simple as possible.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

58 minutes ago, irdave said:

That's what I did, along with ripping out all the line running back up to the front of the car through the cab.

Guess my car is worth less now, but it's simpler.  I like as simple as possible.

That is a very reasonable approach.  Given how much evaporation we would otherwise get in Houston (with the hot weather), I'd just as soon burn it as vent it (being a bit of a tree hugging, dirty hippy, at least for someone in the energy business).

As for car values, who knows anymore.  The list of "not stock but better" stuff on Sputter is long.  I hope I never have to sell it, because I'd be shocked to get close to even.

• Like 1