robsanab

Rota clear coat problem - cause?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Have any ideas what could have caused this? odd spider pattern... the one large patch is the only one where the clear coat has a rough worn spot... the other spots feel smooth. 

Backstory... they were in perfect condition when I had a tire shop remove them to put on my winter set. They have been in their bags in the garage... I took them out to have them swap out and found this on two of the four. One interesting note (?) I think they were both on the fronts. I don't know whether to make a fuss and blame the shop or if it could have been due something I did wrong in storage... maybe the bags they provided had some solvent on them or ?

thanks for you ideas

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

I had the same issue with my Rota RB wheels. Several years ago, I took my Rota wheels to an auto body shop where they painted the spokes and hub semi-gloss black. When the took the tape off the wheel lip, it took the clear coat off on one of the wheels similar to what you have pictured. The wheels were new and didn't even have tires mounted on them yet.   I sold my Rota's last year.   Here is a pic of them on my tii.

G-Man

post-32299-0-31668900-1423937503.jpg

from the pictures, looks like mechanical abrasion damage to me.  what's it feel like scraping your fingernail over it?

It looks like someone went crazy with one of those vibrating engraving tools.

exactly, that's what it reminds me of.  like when I'm trying to engrave my name carefully, and then I lose control

I've noticed that on truck wheels I've stored outside.   I've assumed if it is some type of pest that left a track behind and it just sitting there (versus coming off by driving) it corroded.  

Just my opinion.  Looks like your clear coat is going bad (for whatever the reason).  Moisture is getting underneath the clear coat and attacks the highly polished aluminum.  The spot near the rim is troublesome since it can creep under the tire rim and can eventually break the seal causing the tire to leak.

Google "aluminum wheels spider veins".

Take it to a wheel shop and have them look at it.

Good luck.

I don't think that's the tire shop's fault- looks like they had a tiny amount of corrosion on them when they were cleared.

Then moisture got under.  Or there was a trace of un- neutralized acid... or something... on the rim.  I have even

had a fingerprint raise up- and I was pretty careful in prep...

It is HARD to get clear to stick to a polished surface- an etchant will dull the surface, so you're stuck (heh) trying to 

make a mechanical bond to a smooth surface.

jus' how it looks on the internet.

t

thanks all... 

the wheels are about 7-8 years old, so not from corrosion when they were painted. 

I found some very similar looking spider veins on another forum (thanks Tsingtao…. ). I guess corrosion got underneath the clear coat, could have been just water. These other experiences also mentioned that they ‘stored’ them as well. This was the first time I had a shop do it… although i have always put them in bags I remember this time, since it was nasty weather, they were put in wet and didn’t have a chance to dry out... although I made a point of not sealing them up and stacking them for a good few weeks later… still I think moisture got under some imperceptible scratches. One spot included some road rash on the rim, so that seems pretty clear cut… the others areas seem pretty clean and smooth however. Lord knows I don’t wash these things with kid gloves as you’re apparantely supposed to. But I've never had an issue with any other wheel on other cars… I treat them all the same. That’s why I prefer all powdercoating, shiny stuff is too much trouble (from someone who dislikes washing that is). Don’t really mind patina… now I got it on my wheels!

Toby is right, or at least 98%, in that if your wheels just started displaying this after 7-8 years it might not be from contaminates under the clearcoat, rather from than road debris chipping or otherwise loosening the adhesion of the clear from the metal leaving an entry point for corrosion.

You could strip em and polish on a regular basis, or have them clear anodized. I went the polish and seal route and used a few different OTS polishing/sealing products, and my RS’s still look passable a year later, I’m impressed. It’s also very meditative work :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Airstream people call this filiform corrosion. It actually starts in one spot under the clear and then spreads from there. 

I would run them till is pisses me off then I’d get someone to sand or strip the clear and then polish the lips again. Then finish the wheel the way you want. 

John