Stuart

Yokohama SDrive 195/50 15

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Any one have a close up picture of a 195/50 15 on a 15x7 rim?  I want to see if it looks stretched?  

Than ks in advance for any pictures sent.

Stuart  

Here you go.  Not the best picture but gives you a good from the front view.

These are exactly 195/50r15 S-Drives on 15x7.

20180309_130032_resized_1.jpg

Thank you.  Very nice car!!  Not sure I've seen it before?   

I want to make sure the sidewalls don't slant in.  What is the ET on your rims? 

I've got a set of MIMs 15x7 ET25 that I want to run 195/50s on the front and 205/50s on the rear.

Stuart

Thanks, yeah I've only had it for year and most of that was spent restoring from it's barn find state.

Mine are ET25, it will look similar if you have the same.  I have no rubbing front or back.  The PO had a slight roll on the back quarter panel fender well.  Your 205's in the back may require a bit of rolling of the fender, not sure to be honest.  I have heard mixed reviews with 205's.  I stayed with 195's all around.

Good luck.

Jeff

I've gone back and forth on the 205s in the rear but I'm going to give it a try.  My biggest concern was if the tires would fit inside the wheel wells and not stick out beyond.  The 205s will be close.  

Please PM me on the interior work ABC did for you.  I saw the pictures.  I have a 73 that needs the stock tobacco seats redone front and back.  I saw your labor estimates.  How much were your seat kits?  

Stuart

besides a look, there is really no advantage to 205's in the rear.  certainly don't need for traction, changes balance of the car, possible clearance issues and you can't rotate the tires front to back.  a "square" setup is the way to go with these cars.  they ain't porsche 911's....;)

195's work fine on 15x7's.  no stretch look.  s.drives are actually a bit "wide" for their size.  tons of pics of that setup in the stance and wheels threads.  but...

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mlytle said:

besides a look, there is really no advantage to 205's in the rear.  certainly don't need for traction, changes balance of the car, possible clearance issues and you can't rotate the tires front to back.  a "square" setup is the way to go with these cars.  they ain't porsche 911's....;)

195's work fine on 15x7's.  no stretch look.  s.drives are actually a bit "wide" for their size.  tons of pics of that setup in the stance and wheels threads.  but...

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

Beautiful car.  How is your ride softness at this height?  I stuck with the HR spring height but am thinking of going a little bit lower in the front.  However I am hesitant to lose any major ride softness by going too low.  I want the car to be a daily driver if possible, or at least a few days a week. 

3 hours ago, 69Bimmer02 said:

Beautiful car.  How is your ride softness at this height?  I stuck with the HR spring height but am thinking of going a little bit lower in the front.  However I am hesitant to lose any major ride softness by going too low.  I want the car to be a daily driver if possible, or at least a few days a week. 

thanks. ride softness?  LOL!!  it is a full tilt track car. complete custom GC suspension with 400lb springs.  ride is perfect at 125+ mph going into a turn on track.

on the street?  it will knock all the fillings out of your teeth.

feel free to peruse my build thread if you desire details of the wolf under the sheep's clothing....B)

Edited by mlytle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mlytle said:

thanks. ride softness?  LOL!!  it is a full tilt track car. complete custom GC suspension with 400lb springs.  ride is perfect at 125+ mph going into a turn on track.

on the street?  it will knock all the fillings out of your teeth.

feel free to peruse my build thread if you desire details of the wolf under the sheep's clothing....B)

Thanks, glad I asked, lol:)  Classic response by the way.

• Like 1

I have had 195-50-15 fronts and 205-50-15 rears for many thousands of miles and several sets of tires.

I am going to have new barrels made so I can go back to all 195-50-15.

Things to note:

You will never know the performance difference of a wider rear, unless "that is your thing", or you have much more horsepower.

You will never get the 205-50-15 all the way in your spare tire well if you have a flat.

You can't rotate your tires.

Your steering effort may be higher.

I didn't like the handling on the track as it would not transition into a slide predictably.

I haven't checked, but make sure that there is a selection of tires to choose from for your purposes; I personally don't like the S-Drives as their sidewalls are, well, "squishy". But to each their own.

The Dunlop tires shown are / were street tires and previous sets were never good for the track.

My $0.02

PB294405.JPG