• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rough budget for a TII injection service and top end rebuild?

tdskip

Hi bud.

The easy answer is to call a recommended shop and ask about the top end rebuild and pump rebuild.  Easiest way to do that is ask on here,"Hey, I live in BFE.  Anybody know any good shops around here for some engine work?"  Or the even better, secret squirrel way is to use the search feature... (Personally, I use google and search with 'bmw 2002 faq' and then whatever I'm looking for- seems to work better for me...)  And then once you do that, it'll trigger a series of questions about why you think you need the work done.  Like is the pump not flowing the right amount of gas, have you actually set everything up properly, how are the leak down number, etc., which is actual, real guidance...

:)

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Good morning -  thanks for the response.  Shockingly I did do some searching and even called around to a couple shops in SoCal   ( I am based out of Orange County).   That number I threw was after having a couple conversations and searching, but I found that machine work prices have been moving up fairly quickly and some of the search hits I got were from a couple years ago and I didn't want to assume that they were valid still.

Ultimately I know the answer is "it depends", but just looking for T-shirt sizing.

Thanks!

Assuming you're having the Kugelfischer pump with warm-up regulator entirely rebuilt and set up, and your injectors tested, you're likely to be spending $1,500 to $2,000 all-in on that process.  If any of the injectors fail the tests, they're expensive to replace.  And you'll certainly want to replace fuel injection lines, etc.  And what are thinking about the distributor?  If you're having the fuel injection done, but not somehow dealing with the distributor, much of your post-overhaul tuning may be for naught: distributors wear, their springs stretch, etc.?  While you're having the head re-done, do you want to do any porting, polishing, or port-matching?  I'd say stop thinking $3K in total... :mellow:

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks Steve. Point taken. I am decent with a wrench and would go after all of those as regular service items  but I'm just smart enough to know there are some things I should get professional help on.

My standard operating procedure is to rebuild the distributors on any older car, is there a go to shop or person for that?  From poking around here and talking to some owners it seems like keeping the stock distributor if the engine is otherwise going to be stock is the best approach, what do you think? 

Any shops in SoCal they can help me with the FI system, or should I plan on shipping up to Wes?  I believe there's a well regarded shop in Reading as well that should go on the shortlist, yes?

On 3/21/2018 at 10:04 AM, tdskip said:

Good morning, and thanks in advance for the coaching.

Is there, in rough numbers, a working budget for a top end rebuild and refresh of a TII engine that you guys could offer up? I'm in SoCal.

Thanks!

I can't speak to the costs, but I do have two recommendations.  For the head work, I would go to Steve at Top End Performance (https://www.racetep.com/).  He is in North Hollywood, and did a great job rebuilding Sputter's engine.  As a bonus, he is also a FAQ supporter (or has been in the past).

For fuel injectors and the K-Fish pump, there are only about 5 or 6 guys that do it, and I have used two of them.  Of them, I recommend Dave Redzus in Chicago (http://www.precisionautoresearch.com/GENERAL INFO/Home/PAR1.htm).  However, his turnaround time can sometimes be brutal, so one of the other guys may work as well.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

1 hour ago, tdskip said:

Thanks Steve. Point taken. I am decent with a wrench and would go after all of those as regular service items  but I'm just smart enough to know there are some things I should get professional help on.

My standard operating procedure is to rebuild the distributors on any older car, is there a go to shop or person for that?  From poking around here and talking to some owners it seems like keeping the stock distributor if the engine is otherwise going to be stock is the best approach, what do you think? 

Any shops in SoCal they can help me with the FI system, or should I plan on shipping up to Wes?  I believe there's a well regarded shop in Reading as well that should go on the shortlist, yes?

A few people on here including myself have used Jeff at Advanced Distributors in MN .

http://advanceddistributors.com

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

During my engine rebuild from late 2016 to early 2017, by a local BMW shop, the amount that I was thinking to spend almost doubled after opening it up. Then you start to add up all the "go-fast bits" and the price goes up quick. 

Edited by LB72
additional text

'72 2580905

Ah yes, the slippery slope or the "while we are at it".....

I have no doubt that I could wipe out the kids college savings if I'm not disclipned here.

I am lucky/dumb enough to have a go silly fast car so I'm hoping I can resist the sirens call here.

Read this:

There are other good threads regarding the 123 distributor, particularly regarding setting it up.  And, of course, there is endless raving about how fabulous it is, how it can improve both your looks and sex life.....?

Although I've been planning to use Advanced Distributors to rebuild the original distributor in my '73, I have to admit that when I read a post by a forum member who had the 123 people stuff their fancy-schmancy electronic guts into an original distributor body, they got my attention.

I tend toward highly stock cars and Tom ('76mintgrun'02) gave me a thrashing when he noticed a telltale Pertronix wire on my '76!  ?  If I could get a 123 on the '73 without Tom noticing, I'd have to consider it as a viable option... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)