Grégoire Baudoux

Car sitting too high on the front??

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Helo Everyone, 

I just changed the suspension setup on my 02 and i'm a bit sceptical about its height. I bought new dampers and sport coilovers that should lower the car about 3-4cm. Well, it definitely worked at the rear, but the front now seems very high compared to it. 

Is it normal?

Does car have to drive a bit in order to settle? 

Did i mount the springs correctly? (Longer ones are at the front, smaller ones are at the back) 

I read somewhere that the springs have to be tightened when the car in on its wheels on the floor so that the whole weight of the engine is on them, is that right? 

Thanks in advance for your advices! 

Cheers! 

20180321_114301.jpg

20180321_114247.jpg

20180321_114224.jpg

20180321_114231.jpg

If I remember correctly the taller springs belong on the rear. Shorter springs up front.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thicker (diameter of the wire) in front.  Got a caliper?  Or you can use a crescent wrench to measure one and see if it's loose/tight on the other.  And, yes, you should drive it around the block to settle things.  Also, 02s are famous for the "motorboat" stance with the front a bit higher usually...

Edited by robspeed

as with the others...first guess is the springs are on the wrong ends of the car.

and yes, car should be rolled back and forth a few times in the bay to allow the wheels to "spread".  driving it around not needed.

And if it's a US spec car (although it doesn't look like one), you (or a previous owner) did remove the aluminum spacers from the front struts, didn't you...That will lower the front about 14-15 mm.  

Oddly enough, my '69 went around with its tail in the air when it was new.  I ended up fitting thinner rear spring pads to level the car out--easier than carrying sandbags.

mike