chago997

Bilstein HD or OE boge/Sachs

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello, need rear boges replaced on ‘73 base. Fronts are ok and OE. Stick with OE Boge/Sachs or go with Bilstein HD if keeping fronts as is?

Aren’t  Bilstein HD stiffer than OE? I don’t think I should mix brands. 

Advice welcomed

I run full HD's and they are a great shock.

I'd stick with OE unless putting the bilsteins on all corners. 

5 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I'd stick with OE unless putting the bilsteins on all corners. 

But if you are going to upgrade the fronts eventually as well, go for the Bils.  Be aware tho that a stiffer (HDs are a very mild upgrade tho) shocks in the rear will tend to make the car oversteer more.  Fun if you are ready for it...

Rob, I'd be a little apprehensive of recommending HD rears and unknown fronts.

Stiffer shocks in the rear can lead to significant (read, rotating car) oversteer on rough surfaces

in corners.  Fun, until you hit a pothole and the rear snaps.

Unlike a stiff rear sway bar, the car will be stable in smooth corners, but dynamically

unstable in bumpy/ undulating ones.

t

who wrecked his raceycar just this way.

• Like 1

How old are your front shocks?  The OEM ones on both my '02s were pretty well gone by 40k miles so you may need fronts already.   

The Bilstein HDs front and rear on my '73 now have over 140k miles on 'em and they are as stiff as the nearly new ones on my '69.  After trying Konis in front on the '69 (they were OK but one actually came apart inside the strut housing) and then KYBs (shot after 50k miles) I went to Bilstein HDs on the '69's front.  I have  De Carbons on the rear (they licensed gas shock production to Bilstein) that are still good after 125k,

mike

• Like 1

My original front struts passed the ‘bounce test’ every time but when I went to change them when rebuilding the front end, they were completely shot. Minimal resistance and no rebound at all. 

Bilstein HDs all round and I am very happy. Scope creep but you will be glad you did. 

• Like 1

In my mind, the fronts will need replacing soon.  Get the Bilsteins for the rear because they're the best and they'll last far longer than OE.  Then when the fronts get replaced with Bilsteins, you'll be sitting pretty.  Sure, you'll be mismatched for a little bit, just don't drive 10/10ths.  Alternatively, if you don't like mismatched shocks, just throw away the OE fronts and convert to Bilsteins now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TobyB said:

Rob, I'd be a little apprehensive of recommending HD rears and unknown fronts.

Stiffer shocks in the rear can lead to significant (read, rotating car) oversteer on rough surfaces

in corners.  Fun, until you hit a pothole and the rear snaps.

Unlike a stiff rear sway bar, the car will be stable in smooth corners, but dynamically

unstable in bumpy/ undulating ones.

t

who wrecked his raceycar just this way.

He should be ok if he's not racing it... ;)