Tdh

Just bought this...now I have some questions

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Got a call from a buddy who was visiting a wrecking yard.  They were about to crush a few cars, one of which is a '81 320i, that I now own for the low low price of $300.  Its now on a flatbed and in route to my buddy's place.  No motor, but everything else is there.  Am I correct that this car, in addition to having the Getrag 245, also has a 3.91 diff?  The only photo I have is below.  Hopefully I didn't just blow $300 up a monkeys butt.  

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Not all e21 had lsds and 5 speeds. The 320iS had those.  The S cars also had the recaro sport seats. If it’s a manual it’s a five speed and if that’s good then that alone is worth more than $300. If it’s an auto, not sure what it’s worth.  

Edited by jrhone

I bought a 320i that DID have a LSD.

Its easy to check...jack it up and spin the wheels...

If it's an 81, it will have a 5 speed.  The early E21s had 2 liter engines, a 4 speed gearbox and a 3.64 diff.  When they dropped the displacement to 1.8 liters the gearbox gained a gear, and the diff was upped to a 3.91.  

Hard to tell if the diff is a LSD without either spinning it, or cleaning the grease off and looking for a white-paint stenciled "S" on the case.  

But just the good 5 speed will make your purchase worthwhile--a LSD is just frosting on the cake.

mike

All I have to go on at the moment is that photo, and my buddy's confirmation that "he's pretty sure" its a manual. 

Sounds like I'd want to go to the 3.91 from my 3.64 even if it ends up not being an LSD anyway, but I'm sure as hell hoping it ends up being an LSD.  

We'll see...

The dif might have a small metal tag attached to the cover plate...it will have the ratio stamped on it if it's there.

Its definitely a manual gbox, the bellhousing / casing confirm...but 4 or 5 speeds cant see from here...

• Like 1

It's a 5 speed, the reverse light switch is mounted on top of the trans.  4 speeds it is on the rear housing. 

• Like 1

Don't forget about the big rear brakes and the sun visors are usually a good swap if yours are puffy in the 2002. The interior rear view mirror has bigger glass for a better view. 

Ed

4 hours ago, Preyupy said:

It's a 5 speed, the reverse light switch is mounted on top of the trans

Definitely a 5 speed, OD box, the CR units had the reverse light switch in the back.  Good find!

Mark92131

245OD.jpg

245SP.jpg

In addition to the trans and diff you can make your money back by parting what’s left of the car. 

Truth- especially things like taillight lenses, which have been NLA for a while now.

Crazy.

t