4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Good day all!

I've got a issue I've been fighting with for some time.  I have low voltage on fuse bank 1.1.  Whoops, first of all, a car type.  2002 BMW 325 xi.  Runs great.  In good shape.  Did a little bit of customization.  Standard maintenance.  I've had to replace the front axles, as the boots had blown, which of course lost the CV joint bearings.  I found that parts, for certain places were really good prices from FCP euro.  I think when I bought the axle, I actually got both, for about $100 delivered.

Anyway; The car does run perfectly, but I have a intermittent electrical problem.  The 'Airbag' and restrain system fails, and the light on the dash stays on.  It sometimes does go out, but usually its on.

I classified the fuses by banks.  The fuses 1 thru 15 - Bank 1.1.  Fuses 16 thru 34 - bank 1.2 and same for the lower.  As you probably know, the top fuse rail is switched.  Now I pulled all the fuses from bank 1.1 and then tested the power level.  It turns out to be perfect battery level.  I started replacing fuses, and after I got to fuse 7, the power level dropped by, just a little.  Out of 12.49, It dropped to 11.98.  as I replaced fuses, I recorded the voltage drop.  everything after fuse 7, the voltage dropped a little bit.  Usually about 11.00 at the lowest.  However, fuse 11, when replaced, the voltage dropped to 5.12 volts.  Serious power loss.  Of course, fuse 11 is the restraint system.  I've started to pull the car apart, center console to get to A12, the restraint system controller, and am now about to pull the seats.  Pulling the seats to get to the other restraint system parts.  I'm really stuck as I unplugged the restraint control system, which feeds and receives all the rest of the system, but I have not isolated the issue.  Still voltage drop to 5.xx volts.

I battled with the WDS BMW electrical database, but finally got it running.  Even though it describes where and what the electrical system does,  I can't find the common thread (or wire) that would effect the rest of the other voltage drops on fuses 7 ++;  I'm tackling fuse 11 as it shows the biggest drop, and with the rest of the fuses showing a lesser voltage drop, there has to be a common issue.  (Of course fuse 11 diagram being the source).

I don't wanna have to pull more and more crap apart, as it's almost car season.  Rather get this fixed quick.

So, any suggestions ???  Does anybody else have this issue, or have heard of something similar ???

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi there you realize this is a form for BMW 2002's not 2002 year cars right? 

9 hours ago, deanres said:

Hi there you realize this is a form for BMW 2002's not 2002 year cars right? 

You need the E46 forum...

mike