Squatch Pads

New to Texas

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello fellow Texans.  I know, I can’t really call myself that yet.  What is the number of years requirement before I can say that?    Moved here last June from Portland Oregon.  After an amazing opportunity to get my old car back, I can proudly say that I am an 02 owner again.  

Is there anyone in and around Waco?  Does anyone know of any good shops around here?  I see Terry’s in Austin.  I may need to tow down if I can’t solve the issues the P.O. or caretaker of Gustav let go.  

I have a list of issues I need to address before getting it back on the road, but as soon as it is road worthy, will try to make it to a few of the drives etc.

Anyway, wanted to say hi.

BD64B7B4-53DA-4068-9CD3-7384AD272935.jpeg

Sweet!  I didn't realize you were in Texas!  Lots of folks in the Austin area....just a conversation away.

I don't know of any shops in the Waco area, nor of any other 2002s up in that area. It might be worth trailering it to Terry's shop in south Austin.  his guys are aces and can have it sorted out in no time.  That shifter is interesting... I suppose there are more than one way to skin a cat, but that's a new on on me.  Terry's shop has specialized in 5 speed swaps for years. They can fabricate a shift platform and such in their sleep.  

Shoot a PM to Big_Lebowski... Greg will put you into his social media rotation and alert you to all the '02 gatherings in the Austin area.  Too bad your car isn't running now... Terry's Spring02berFest is this weekend in Fredericksburg... just in time for lots of bluebonnets and gorgeous Hill Country roads.  (you've got 3 days... you can DO IT!)

Get yourself a reservation for Bo's MidAmerica02Fest in Eureka Springs, AR next month.  We usually have a big caravan of cars driving out of Austin, meeting the Houston group somewhere SE of Dallas.  You really shouldn't miss that one.

Welcome to Texas...enjoy the Spring weather, the heat of summer will be upon us soon :)

Ed Z

Cedar Park, Texas

...glorious car, BTW

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2

Thank you for the very Texan welcome.  

Unfortunately MID America is out of reach.  The laundry list of items just keeps getting longer.

Seriously, who drives a car for 6 years only puts 800 miles on it and has this many things wrong with it?  I think sitting is harder on these than track days.

Anway, I am anxious to meet up with others. 

The good news is I solved my shift linkage issue with the help of Ireland.  Now onto replacing the motor mounts.  The previous IE poly’s come apart due to age.  IE replaced under warranty.  My struggle is how to replace by myself.  

Then after that I should be able to get in a shake down drive.  Although I need to figure out why the gas gauge is not working.  Thinking P.O. had shop replace fuel pump and something is wonky with the sending unit.  

Currently this is the state.

370ECC2A-6F63-423D-BC47-B4CA4B24FBD1.jpeg

On 4/4/2018 at 7:58 AM, Woody said:

Now onto replacing the motor mounts.  The previous IE poly’s come apart due to age.  IE replaced under warranty.  My struggle is how to replace by myself.  

Then after that I should be able to get in a shake down drive.  Although I need to figure out why the gas gauge is not working.  Thinking P.O. had shop replace fuel pump and something is wonky with the sending unit.  

To replace motor mounts, Harbor Freight sells an engine support bar for $75 that'll lift and hold the engine while you swap mounts.  I've also done it with a home-built 2X4 contraption that approximated the Harbor Freight tool.  Either way, it's pretty easy one person job and probably accomplished in an hour or so, if you know what you're doing.

On the gas gauge, start by working on grounds. Five minutes cleaning up the instrument cluster grounds might fix it, as both the fuel and temp gauges are particularly sensitive to bad grounds.  Some even run new, separate grounds for these gauges. 

Thanks Josh.  I ordered a similar one from Amazon, a little cheaper.  Looks to be identical bar.  Once I receive will find time to work on it.  

After reading multiple posts on the subject, I feel a little more confident now.  I was spoiled when I built the car because my friend had a hoist.  

And excellent tip on the gauge ground.  Will look at that.  

Gustav is on the road!  Now looking for tires. The Falken’s are way too hard. Going to a car show in Waco the 14th for the central Texas humane society. First time in the public’s eye. 

• Like 2