RenaissanceMan

Steering column splines the same size early/late?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

Bought a 2002 Momo steering wheel hub from a forum member a while back, and now trying to install. It will not press onto the steering column spines as easily as it should, and I'm apprehensive about forcing it. Are there any differences in spline pattern or diameter between early and late 02's? Pic attached.... 

0319181934.jpg

0319181934a.jpg

0319181934b.jpg

Edited by RenaissanceMan

I have swapped out numerous steering wheels for 02’s and they all have been interchangeable. I also have a 67 1800 and that also fits a later 02 wheel. Try using a tooth brush or copper brush and clean the splines. I have found that helps as the tolerances are very tight.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad perhaps a bit o' grease.

Good luck,

4 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Splines are the same on all 2002s that hub looks like a much later fine spline like on the E28s.

$!#&, that is what I was afraid of. I'm gonna be pissed if that's the case. 😞

Yeah, but it fits a whole bunch of VWs, Audis and Porsches....someone with a hot rod GTI or older Porsche will want it...

mike

• Like 1

The guy who sold this to me is a saint. I emailed him yesterday and he was more than happy to refund me, even though I bought it a long time ago. Nice to know some folks still offer great customer service. :)