Hodgepodge

Zinc, chrome and a busted headlight housing stud...

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Todays questions:   

1.  Several people including Conserv have mentioned getting nuts and bolt re-zinc plated.  I have a thousand baggies full of nuts and bolts now and might want to do the same thing.  Who does it and how much does it cost? 

2  Upon dissassembly of one of my seats, I discovered that the headrest posts are badly rusted and that is why they no longer slide.  There are a few other small parts that I might want to get rechromed.  Any recommendations and cost ranges?   

3.  While removing the sad, tired, twice painted over headlight housings, I broke off one of the studs.   I don't weld.  I also have no idea where I can get a similar stud to have somebody weld in.  I could let it go, but that's just not right....   Does anyone have any suggestions?  Image of sad, tired headlight housing with busted stud  below.  Dig that black and silver trim ring!  

SCH_6094.JPG

Edited by Hodgepodge

36 minutes ago, Hodgepodge said:

3.  While removing the sad, tired, twice painted over headlight housings, I broke off one of the studs.   I don't weld.  I also have no idea where I can get a similar stud to have somebody weld in.  I could let it go, but that's just not right....   Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe the studs are pressed in, not welded.  You can rig some thing to support the back of the stud and press the broken stud out or can just knock it off.  Then, press in a new replacement assuming the metal is still solid.  I bought a bunch of these studs for a project that I have not gotten to.  PM me.

I have not yet found my “Northeast” metal re-plater, but I had one I loved in Atlanta: Metal Finishers of Atlanta in Lilburn, GA.  If I recall, I paid $130 — or was it $150 — for “a load”.  But I never really found out how big a load could be.  It was certainly a big box of goodies.  Initially, if I wanted some clear zinc (a.k.a., silver zinc) and some (more common) yellow zinc, they would call that two batches.

Later, as we got to understand each other, they would do clear and yellow in a single batch.  (Procedurally, I believe everything passes through the clear zinc phase.  Yellow zinc simply gets an additional step.). As long as I could clearly describe which items were intended to be clear and which were intended to be yellow, they’d simply stop processing the clear items after that phase.

The results are often amazing.  Occasionally, they were disappointing: subtle age pitting can result in a dull(er) finish.  I had to clean items before I dropped them off, and remove paint and grease.  But media blasting is a no-no because it generally leads to a dull(er), non-original-looking finish.

Below are a pair of headlight buckets, with components re-plated in their correct clear and yellow finishes.  Far better than expected from a pair crusty things!

(Broken headlight bucket studs are sometimes drilled out and replaced with a bolt.)

Regards,

Steve

84131B55-C5C2-4D51-A316-9D6667BF8839.jpeg

E38A3F22-3668-46E5-98D8-A558CA8BA02F.jpeg

I have re-chromed headrest supports. To get them re-plated, I had to strip down the headrests to the one-piece frames, which includes both posts. The chrome is now everywhere on these frames, mostly covered by the upholstering, and only highly polished on the supports. I had it done by Graves Plating in Florence, Alabama.  They are beautiful. The chrome is ten times better than what BMW applied to them. But...I cannot recall what it cost; I only recall it was an obscene amount. As in, too painful to remember!

I’m tall, so my driver’s headrest is always fully extended. The chrome shows. If I were 6 inches shorter, and the supports did not show, it would be really hard to justify their re-plating. The plastic guides for the headrest supports (buried in the seats) were still available two years ago. You must go to e21 seat parts to find them, however. Maybe simply polishing and waxing the supports — pitting and all — would get you most of what you need without the obscene cost....😙

Below: 1975-76 headrest frames ready for re-plating.

Regards,

Steve

DCD8EEEE-55C2-468A-BD79-72217CB600C9.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

I drilled out the stud and replaced it with a stainless nut and bolt. You're over thinking it.

• Like 1

Has anyone soda blasted a seat frame?   I have a lot of surface rust on mine and am considering doing this.  

For something like a seat frame, just use a more standard abrasive blast medium. No need to soda blast unless that is all you are set up for. 

NYNick,  Overthinking it...   I'll have to think about that.    ;):) 

I spend at least 50% of any project thinking about it.  This applies at both the project and task level.  I look at something, think about it, figure it out, do it, then I look at it again and think about it some more, even if it is just "That looks good" or "that's not right."   Then I think about whatever it is that I need to do next and the cycle repeats.  Doesn't everybody do that?     

• Like 1

Simeon,  You are right, of course, it should be more abrasive.  I have a good soda blast guy but that is all he works with.   I'm looking for a local bead/walnut/sand blaster.     

For nuts, bolts, washer, wave washers, etc just order new yellow zinc from Belmetric in Boston.  Family owned business and they ship the same day if ordered in the AM. 

13 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

NYNick,  Overthinking it...   I'll have to think about that.    ;):) 

I spend at least 50% of any project thinking about it.  This applies at both the project and task level.  I look at something, think about it, figure it out, do it, then I look at it again and think about it some more, even if it is just "That looks good" or "that's not right."   Then I think about whatever it is that I need to do next and the cycle repeats.  Doesn't everybody do that?     

Upon reflection, I over think all this stuff too, mostly (I hope) because this is my first 02 and and first restoration. However, I also go through all 18 holes and what clubs I hit from what distances too, while trying to get to sleep. So maybe it's just me (the pot) calling you (the kettle) black?

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Upon reflection, I over think all this stuff too, mostly (I hope) because this is my first 02 and and first restoration. However, I also go through all 18 holes and what clubs I hit from what distances too, while trying to get to sleep. So maybe it's just me (the pot) calling you (the kettle) black?

It's just a human thing.   Or maybe a human guy thing.   Or it could just be guys that work with their hands...   I will ponder it some more....

13 hours ago, HBChris said:

For nuts, bolts, washer, wave washers, etc just order new yellow zinc from Belmetric in Boston.  Family owned business and they ship the same day if ordered in the AM. 

I have used tehm but I also use McMaster-Carr.  They have similar pricing, sell smaller quantities and when I order, the stuff shows up at my door two days later.  They have a lot of gromets and other parts, too.   

I have the same experience with Belmetric, you can buy 1 or 100, they have yellow zinc in every conceivable size and they use USPS Priority for fast shipping.  McMaster has yellow zinc?

I'm thinking of investing in a vibratory tumbler, and a plating setup for zinc and nickel.  It all seems pretty easy to do, and it would nice if I could re-plate stuff like the headlight buckets, and other brackets/fittings.

Jose