46 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I have ordered multiple parts From Ireland Engineering, most recently one of their street/track step headers and also the billet ignition coil bracket.

Those of you that have ordered similar or same parts, what was your opinion on the finish quality of these?

I was most dissapointed with the header. The mating side of the flange that meets the head - only a couple of spots weldsat the tube to flange joints. One of the tubes had to be filled down as it protruded past the mounting surface. There was alot of flashing and weld boogers that had to be filled down as well. For such an expensive piece I guess I expected a higher level of attention to detail. 

The coil bracket wasn't bad, lots of superficial scratches (would have to be polished out if you wanted it bare). There were two small spots on the edges though that appeared pitted, but again very small.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much or not? Thoughts from others?

Never had any issues with IE. If you do have a problem call. They have excellent customer service. 

• Like 1

short answer:

depends on the part you ordered. some things are really nice and some are just passable but in general always had great products and usually really good service.

and they are one of the largest 2002 suppliers in the nation so support them as much as you can

Im not saying the parts are defective, and I'm certainly not trying to mar  their image. I was just trying to figure out if my expectations are too high. 

I had an issue with getting wrong parts. I contacted them and they were quick to resolve it. So I would concur that their customer service is good.

Post pics. I have gotten lots of parts from them and all were as expected. It’s not too much to expect new parts to look new and in the flip side I have seen people nit pick about the inside of a header.  

I feel as if I was burned on their upgraded mechanical advance distributor which failed within a couple weeks. Opted to not play cat and mouse with it and bought the bluetooth 123 plus distributor. 

Also their guibo bolts and locknuts, although a good price, are subpar. Keep backing off.

I haven't had the best experience.  With the full tii hose kit, they sent several (6 or 8 or 10) hose clamps that were too small- so I had to source them elsewhere.  They sent the ones that just fit over the hoses instead of reading on the clamp what size they were for...  Yes, they offered to send new parts, but I had that day to get it done, not leave the car sitting for another couple of days waiting.  There were other parts like that- very happy to send new parts, but why not send the correct parts the first time?  While I definitely appreciate what they're trying to do for the '02 community, I have a hard time giving them my money. (First order with them was $1500 or 2k...)

And a shop I told about the hose kit ordered one 2 weeks ago for a tii engine they're rebuilding.  Same problem with the hose clamps.

And now I need to go check my guibo locknuts.

13 hours ago, jrhone said:

Post pics. I have gotten lots of parts from them and all were as expected. It’s not too much to expect new parts to look new and in the flip side I have seen people nit pick about the inside of a header.  

I can't send pics currently, parts are already at the powder coated. I spent about 90 minutes doing some hand filing on the header because of a couple large weld boogers stuck to the inside of two of the tubes. That also included filing down part of one of the tubes the protruded past the mounting flange. 

I have never purchased a header before, so I was curious if this was normal or not.

I've never ordered a header from them, but I have had my hands on or installed headers from numerous other manufacturers on numerous other marques.  My personal opinion is that what you ran into is pretty normal.   I'd say about half the headers I've dealt with needed some tweaking (again, I have no experience with IE header).   

The parts I've ordered from them have had no issues.  Did you contact them about the issues, maybe they'd be willing to work with you somehow (credit maybe, I dunno).  

41 minutes ago, Tdh said:

I've never ordered a header from them, but I have had my hands on or installed headers from numerous other manufacturers on numerous other marques.  My personal opinion is that what you ran into is pretty normal.   I'd say about half the headers I've dealt with needed some tweaking (again, I have no experience with IE header).   

The parts I've ordered from them have had no issues.  Did you contact them about the issues, maybe they'd be willing to work with you somehow (credit maybe, I dunno).  

That's good to know about the other headers you have seen. I suppose the time it would take to "clean up" the product would only add additional cost.

I didn't contact them as I wasn't sure if this was "normal" or not. I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times so I didn't want to call them half cocked only to find out it's the norm. I find that my expectations can be a bit high sometimes.

(edited)

Ok so Im not saying my experience is normal but here is what happened with my IE Radiator install, wrote this a few years ago.  

I am planning to drive to the vintage in NC from NYC.  My car has been getting a little hot, over half way on the gauge, sometimes a bit higher.  I figured a new radiator would fix it right up, and this is something I should do before taking a long drive in the car.  Asked on the FAQ, decided on the IE radiator as it seemed like the best one for cooling, it would fit without cutting anything, and it was "only" twice what i wanted to spend.  So i happily ordered the radiator about 6 weeks before the vintage, thought there would be plenty of time to get it installed, and do a few test drives to make sure nothing was going to explode or fall off before the long drive.

2 weeks later it arrives, YAY!  I looked at it, and it was beautiful.  I thought this is just the ticket.  I've taken out the radiator before, so I knew what it was about and thought I could do it after work one day, no problem, maybe 2 days just to be safe.  This was an underestimate.

1st attempt:
Got the old radiator out no problem at all.  Tried to fit the new radiator.  Wont fit.  Seems like the battery is in the way, so I remove that.  Tried to fit it again, nope not a chance.  The battery tray is hitting the mount on one side, and on the other the lower hose is hitting the frame rail.  Maybe if i take the mechanical fan off it will go in?  A few radiator fins were bent during this attempt.  This doesnt make me happy.

2nd attempt:
After fan removal I try again.  This time I can just about get it in.  Thats great.  However now I dont have the fan installed and its absolutely impossible to reinstall the fan with the radiator in place.  Ok great.  So obviously i can just remove the radiator, put the fan back on, not worry so much about the fins and get the thing in there.
Then I cant get the stupid radiator out.  It went in fine.  Now it just wont move at all.  Finally after much fighting I get it out.  Notice I have not only bent the fins, i have dented the actual structure of the radiator.  Well, fingers crossed It will be fine.  This battery tray is really making this difficult.  I am doing an EFI conversion, so moving the battery would be a good thing to do anyway.  Its a welded battery tray, so it will need to be cut out.

3rd attempt:
Removed the battery tray, had to buy an angle grinder to do this ($50), but I needed one anyway.  Now the radiator goes in and out no problem.  Ok get the radiator in, the fan on, yay this is almost done.  Balance the old battery on the fender and fire it up.  I hear smack-smack-smack-smack from the fan hitting on the bottom of the radiator.  IT LOOKED LIKE IT WOULD CLEAR FINE.  Ok, so I'll loosen the engine mounts, see if i can get it to sit a little more back or if i can change the angle... no dice.  Ok fine.  I'll do electric fan.

Scope creep:
I need to move the battery anyway.  So the choices seem to be the TEP strut brace / battery kit or putting smaller batteries under the rear seat.  I like to travel with the car, and my family and like trunk space.  Under the rear seat seems like a really good option.  Bought a single Odyssey PC680 battery, a metal frame and a long 4 gauge cable so I can mount the battery under the rear seat, then I need a under hood distribution block, and i want a way to turn the battery off if I need it.... this adds up to $300.  I figure if i need a second battery, i have the option to add it at any point.

Then the electric fan, the hose adapter for the coolant temperature sensor and the relay.  This is another $70.  I have a BMW Coolant Temperature sensor from an e30 318i.  On IE's site they say their hose adapter will fit "standard bmw temperature sensors", I figure the one I have is standard.  When I actually get the hose adapter it doesnt fit.  Now i need to research to find a coolant sensor that will fit.  The BMW one seems to be $60, which seems really expensive.  I find a mercedes one that is only $16.50 and has the right thread.  Ordered it.

4th attempt:
The radiator is in the car, hoses attached, coolant in.  This looks like its going to work.  Awesome.  Turn the car on, working good.  5 minutes later I see its leaking.  From the center where i dented it on step 2.  Ok I guess I will have to get it fixed.  Call a radiator place they will fix it in a couple days for $80.  Fine, i guess.  Pull it out

Ok.  I want to see if the rest of the stuff I installed is working, and if anything is falling apart or blowing up.  So I put the old radiator in, now with the electric fan.  I switch out the 81 degree thermostat for the 71 I bought, so I figure it should cool ok.  Its not really cooling ok.  Its a bit hot.  I turn the electric fan on all the time.  Its still cooling really poorly, the gauge is over half way up all the time.  The fan seems to make little difference.  The heater if you turn it on cools it down some.  This old radiator is shot.

5th Attempt:
Got the radiator back from the repair place.  I can tell you its not a beautiful fix at all.  But hell, lets just stick it in the car, you will hardly be able to see the super ugly fix as its right near the water pump.    Get it in, turn the car on, let the car warm up and then I turn the electric fan on.  And the car cools right down.  Its perfect.  Really did need a new radiator.

So. 

Target budget:  $150

Actual Spend:

$300 for the radiator + $50 for the angle grinder + $300 for the battery/accessories + $70 for the fan + $80 to get the radiator fixed.  $800.

Edited by spencer4554

@Jjmoonen You bought the specials SS longtube headers. We apologize, we know the weld quality on these is...lets just say doodoo. Which is why we are blowing these out cheap, plus we need the space for actual parts we sell regularly. These are not something we plan on re-stocking once they're gone they're gone.

(edited)

I have IE step headers and full stainless exhaust everything looks decent and fit pretty well. I ended up having some of the pieces welded together so they mimicked the stock setup. Only qualm was the rear most muffler hanger which was flimsy 16-18 gauge sheet metal that ended up sagging as soon as the weight of the muffler was hung off of it. 15min and 30 bucks at a muffler shop (welded a new hanger on) and it’s been sitting nice ever since. 2 1/2years. 

I also have their tii mechanical advance distributor still sitting new in the box. I never installed it after hearing numerous bad reviews from fellow 02ers that got stranded because of its lack of reliability.

similar story as above with the IE aluminum radiator. It would not clear the fan. Opted to get an old 3 core I had  recored and ran that instead. IE radiator is still sitting on a shelf unused.

front and rear sway bar kit is awesome, easy to install and a noticeable difference when driving. 

Edited by Coastalcrush408

1 hour ago, Ireland Engineering said:

@Jjmoonen You bought the specials SS longtube headers. We apologize, we know the weld quality on these is...lets just say doodoo. Which is why we are blowing these out cheap, plus we need the space for actual parts we sell regularly. These are not something we plan on re-stocking once they're gone they're gone.

See now this would have been good to know beforehand. The price reflects the "defect" so to speak. Just knowing that ahead of time would have saved me from even questioning it.

• Like 2