Sign in to follow this  
seattle2002tii

Help on installing headrest post caps - Gahh covers

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I had an upholster install new Gahh front seat covers on my 73 2002tii.  I have 10mm headrest posts.  I purchased new headrest chrome caps (see photo) - part #52101819850.  Both upholster and I can't figure out how to get the chrome caps to snap into the headrest plastic guide inside the seat.  The guide inside of the seat has ridge and the chrome cap has tabs, so they should lock together.  Seems to me the Gahh covers have too much foam attached inside and doesn't allow the chrome caps to snap.  I tried a fair amount of force.  Any experience or suggestions on how to attach the chrome caps securely?

1.jpg

2.jpg

i'd get in the hole with some small scissors and cut away some of the foam...you have a mark in the vinyl now to use as a guide

From my experience a couple months ago, those caps will not snap onto the posts.  I tried pushing them on hard enough to break the tabs off.

I don't know what the "correct" way to do it is but...On the top of the posts, there is a round plastic tab that the seat back upholstery was tucked under when I bought my car and it had no caps.  I played around with it and couldn't get new caps to stay at all.  When I recently put my GAHH set on, The only way I could figure to get the chrome tabs on was to tuck the upholstery under the round pcs. on top of the posts and then grind down some of the tabs to the point that they down into the post - I then glued them to the top of the round part.  Not the way it should work at all but those chrome caps will not fit and stay even if there is no fabric.

Thanks tomphot.  Esty idea is interesting, but your experience suggest the cap just doesn't snap into the collar.  I was also thinking about using epoxy to just attached the chrome caps to fabric, but wanted a better option.  I purchased my chrome caps from 2002AD, they look good, but I was wandering if they are slightly different from "official" BMW parts.   The cost at 2002AD was $13 vs $20+ from BMW.  There are also different caps, 10 vs 12mm and black vs chrome.  Maybe one style or source will work best?  

I've tried both caps (AD & BMW) with the same result.

Those caps didn't even stay in place very well when the cars were new.  IIRC the little mounting clips broke off on my '69 a year or two after I bought it (new) when I tried to clip 'em back in place for the umpteenth time.  So I just took a little contact cement and glued the caps to the vinyl upholstery and let 'em "float" with the vinyl.  They've been that way ever since.

Go with the flow...

mike

I bought those plastic/chrome pieces from Walloth & Nesch a few years ago. If I recall correctly, the tubes inside the seat are metal.  Inside the metal tubes were the remnants of old caps broken off.  Once I had cleaned out the tubes I used a block of wood firmly pressed on top of the cap and tapped it in using a hammer.  The caps recessed into the vinyl quite nicely.5aafd688ab59d_HeadrestCaps1.jpg.9252952b88303b400a8eec4272535935.jpg